Implemented a spell-checker didn't we?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary: And it's great that technology is making it easier for us to write correctly. It's a nice added feature to have spell-checking in platforms like PF. Overall, it adds a level of sophistication to our writing. Thank you.In summary, the conversation included a discussion about the benefits of having spell-checking in online platforms, specifically on PF. The user expressed their appreciation for this feature and how it adds a level of sophistication to writing. They also shared a humorous poem about spell-checking and provided additional information about its origin.
jackmell
That's what it looks like, here, psikology. See it did it, a red line went under the word. Look, this is even better: psychology. Wow, I typed in psi then chology and it automatically corrected the spelling for me.

This is outstanding in my opinion and adds a nice level of sophistication to PF. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackmell said:
This is outstanding in my opinion and adds a nice level of sophistication to PF. Thank you.

Hi jackmell,

I'm afraid we can't take credit for this. Most likely you've just upgraded your web browser. New versions of FF/Chrome have a "form" spell check now :)

Ok. Still, spell-checking is a very nice addition to the GUI of PF regardless of how or where it's implemented. It's just classy to write well.

I have a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lea marques form eye revue
Miss takes eye can knot sea
I've run this poem threw it
I'm shore yaw pleas to no.
It's letter perfect in its weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Origin unknown but I first saw it in the 1990s

Likes 1 person
Jobrag said:
Origin unknown but I first saw it in the 1990s

Jobrag, it was originally written in 1992, by Professor Jerrold H. Zar and was entitled "Candidate for a Pullet Surprise".

http://grammar.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=grammar&cdn=education&tm=42&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=4&bts=50&zu=http%3A//www.bios.niu.edu/zar/zar.shtml

The poem...

http://www.paulhensel.org/teachspell.html

The Journal of Irreproducible Results...

http://www.jir.com/pullet.html

OCR

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
jackmell said:
It's just classy to write well.

Agreed, spelling and grammar are important!

1. What is a spell-checker?

A spell-checker is a software program or tool that is designed to check and correct spelling errors in a document or text. It can identify misspelled words and suggest correct replacements.

2. How does a spell-checker work?

A spell-checker works by comparing words in a document to an internal dictionary of correctly spelled words. It uses algorithms and pattern recognition to identify and highlight misspelled words, and offers suggestions for correct spellings.

3. Why is a spell-checker important?

A spell-checker is important because it helps ensure the accuracy and professionalism of written content. It can save time and effort by catching spelling errors that may have otherwise been missed, and it can also improve the readability and credibility of a document.

4. Can a spell-checker catch all errors?

No, a spell-checker cannot catch all errors. It is a helpful tool, but it is not foolproof. It may not recognize proper names, technical terms, or contextual errors. It is still important to proofread and edit written content for accuracy.

5. How can I use a spell-checker effectively?

To use a spell-checker effectively, it is important to choose a reliable and accurate program. It is also helpful to proofread and edit the document in addition to running a spell-check, and to pay attention to any suggestions or corrections offered by the spell-checker.