Implications of zero in the denominator when solving equations

In summary, the book states a deduction using the coordinates of two opposite vertices of a square, A(0,-1) and B(0,3), to find the other two vertices. However, there are errors in the deduction, such as multiplying by an undefined value and assuming the opposite corners have the same x coordinate. The implication that the diagonals are perpendicular based on the product of their slopes is also not necessarily true. There may be other methods to solve this problem, but the given values can be easily solved by plotting the points.
JC2000
My book states the following :

##{\frac{(y_1)-(y_2)}{(x_1)-(x_2)}}*\frac{(3+1)}{(0-0)} = -1## ...(1)
##\implies y_1 - y_2 = 0##

(A) Is this a valid deduction?

Context :

The Problem :If ##A(0,-1)## and ##B(0,3)## are two opposite vertices of a square, then find the other two vertices.

Solution :

Let D and B be ##(x_1,y_1)## and ##(x_2,y_2)## respectively. Using A and B we can find the mid point of the diagonals M =(0,1).
Since M is also the mid point for BD we get : ##x_1 + x_2 = 0## and ##y_1 + y_2 =2##
Also, (Slope of BD)*(Slope of AC) = -1 This is how statement (1) is arrived at.

(B) if this is an invalid attempt to solve the problem, how else could this be solved ( I realize that the problem with the given values can be solved by plotting the points and hence I am wondering if there is another general method to solve such a problem)?

Physics news on Phys.org
JC2000 said:
My book states the following :

##{\frac{(y_1)-(y_2)}{(x_1)-(x_2)}}*\frac{(3+1)}{(0-0)} = -1## ...(1)
##\implies y_1 - y_2 = 0##
Really? Your book has this?
It makes no sense to multiply something by ##\frac 4 0## and get -1 as the product.
JC2000 said:
(A) Is this a valid deduction?

Context :

The Problem :If ##A(0,-1)## and ##B(0,3)## are two opposite vertices of a square, then find the other two vertices.

Solution :

Let D and B be ##(x_1,y_1)## and ##(x_2,y_2)## respectively. Using A and B we can find the mid point of the diagonals M =(0,1).
This isn't consistent with what you wrote earlier, with A(0, -1) and B(0, 3). The other two vertices of the square would be C and D.
JC2000 said:
Since M is also the mid point for BD we get : ##x_1 + x_2 = 0## and ##y_1 + y_2 =2##
Also, (Slope of BD)*(Slope of AC) = -1 This is how statement (1) is arrived at.
Based on what you wrote as the given information, this is all very confused. The diagonals would be AB (a vertical line segment) and CD (a horizontal line segment). It's still not legitimate to write an equation that multiplies 0 and something undefined to get -1.
JC2000 said:
(B) if this is an invalid attempt to solve the problem, how else could this be solved ( I realize that the problem with the given values can be solved by plotting the points and hence I am wondering if there is another general method to solve such a problem)?
The two given points are on the y-axis, and are 4 units apart. The other two vertices must be on a horizontal line, also 4 units apart. It should be fairly simple to figure out the coordinates of C and D.

Last edited:
Likes JC2000

That's terrible! From their drawing, one could immediately see that A and C are on the line x = 0 (the y-axis), which means that the slope of AC is undefined.

What's the name of this book and who is the author?

• Haha
Likes baldbrain
Yes, I realized my error. I meant A and C were the known coordinates.
The book is actually a question bank, seems the publishers haven't mentioned the author's name.
Thank you for your detailed response.

The implication is true, indeed, but that doesn't make the conclusion true. The diagonals are perpendicular if and only if the product of their slopes is ##-1##. This need not be the case.

I only see the parameters specified, but no problem posed.
Edit: nevermind, the problem is to figure out how to compute the midpoint coordinates.

The ##0## in the denominator phenomenon is an indication that something is wrong with the assumptions - in this case, the opposite corners ##A## and ##C## have the same ##x## coordinate, which is impossible.

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
The implication is true, indeed, but that doesn't make the conclusion true. The diagonals are perpendicular if and only if the product of their slopes is −1. This need not be the case.
I think I understand what you meant, but that's different from what you wrote. I believe you mean that this statement -- The diagonals are perpendicular if and only if the product of their slopes is −1. -- is not necessarily true. It's certainly false if one of the diagonals of the square is vertical.
nuuskur said:
The 0 in the denominator phenomenon is an indication that something is wrong with the assumptions - in this case, the opposite corners A and C have the same x coordinate, which is impossible.
No, not impossible if square is rotated by an angle of 45° relative to the x-axis.

What does it mean when there is a zero in the denominator of an equation?

When there is a zero in the denominator of an equation, it means that the fraction is undefined. This is because division by zero is not a valid mathematical operation.

Why is it important to avoid having a zero in the denominator when solving equations?

Having a zero in the denominator can lead to incorrect solutions or undefined answers. It is important to avoid this because it can result in mathematical errors and incorrect conclusions.

How can I avoid having a zero in the denominator when solving equations?

To avoid having a zero in the denominator, you can simplify the equation by factoring out common factors or using the quotient rule. You can also check your work to ensure that there are no mistakes that could result in a zero in the denominator.

What are the implications of having a zero in the denominator when solving equations?

The implications of having a zero in the denominator can include incorrect solutions, undefined answers, and mathematical errors. It can also affect the validity of your conclusions and the accuracy of your calculations.

Can a zero in the denominator ever be acceptable in an equation?

No, a zero in the denominator is never acceptable in an equation. It is not a valid mathematical operation and can lead to incorrect solutions or undefined answers. It is important to always avoid having a zero in the denominator when solving equations.