Implicit Differentiation to find equation of a tangent line

In summary: Yes, I didn't bother to check that. I just copied the formula you had given. I should have noticed that it wasn't an equation.
hannahSUU
I need urgent help. I have this question:
Use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.
\begin{equation}
{x}^{2/3}+{y}^{2/3}=4
\\
\left(-3\sqrt{3}, 1\right)\end{equation}

(astroid)
[DESMOS=-10,10,-10,10]x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=4[/DESMOS]

My answer is
\begin{equation}
-\frac{\sqrt[3]{y}}{\sqrt[3]{x}}\left(x+3\sqrt{3}\right)+1
\end{equation}
which is marked as incorrect, but I can't figure out why.

Any help is appreciated (heart)

EDIT: I clearly do not know how to use Latex. Working on fixing it now
EDIT 2: Fixed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your function again.
\(\displaystyle x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = 4\)

Take your derivative.
\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3} x^{-1/3} + \frac{2}{3} y^{-1/3} ~ y' = 0\)

Now solve for y'.

-Dan

hannahSUU said:
I need urgent help. I have this question:
Use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.
\begin{equation}
{x}^{2/3}+{y}^{2/3}=4
\\
\left(-3\sqrt{3}, 1\right)\end{equation}

(astroid)My answer is
\begin{equation}
-\frac{\sqrt[3]{y}}{\sqrt[3]{x}}\left(x+3\sqrt{3}\right)+1
\end{equation}
which is marked as incorrect, but I can't figure out why.

Any help is appreciated (heart)

EDIT: I clearly do not know how to use Latex. Working on fixing it now
EDIT 2: Fixed
I thought I had responded to this before. Perhaps it was on another math site?

One reason this was marked as incorrect was that the problem asked for "the equation of the tangent line" and what you have is not an equation! There is no "=".

But even if you intended "y= " in front of that, it is not the equation of a line. You need to evaluate that derivative at the given point, not just leave it in terms of "x" and "y".

From [tex]x^{2/3}+ y^{2/3}= 4[/tex], [tex](2/3)x^{-1/3}+ (2/3)y^{-1/3}y'= 0[/tex] so [tex]y'= -\frac{y^{1/3}}{x^{1/3}}[/tex]. Now, specifically, at [tex](-3\sqrt{3}, 1)[/tex] that becomes [tex]y'(-3\sqrt{3})= -\frac{1^{1/3}}{(-3\sqrt{3})^{1/3}}[/tex]. Now, the tangent line is given by [tex]y- 1= \left(-\frac{1^{1/3}}{(-3\sqrt{3})^{1/3}}\right)(x- 3\sqrt{3})= 3^{-1/2}(x- 3\sqrt{3})[/tex].

That should be $ y - 1 = 3^{-1/2}(x + 3\sqrt3)$ :)

Thanks.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in the form y = f(x). This means that the function contains both x and y variables and cannot be easily solved for y.

2. Why is implicit differentiation used to find the equation of a tangent line?

Implicit differentiation is used to find the equation of a tangent line because it allows us to find the slope of a curve at a specific point without having to solve for y explicitly. This is helpful when dealing with complex functions that are difficult to solve for y.

3. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you first take the derivative of each term in the equation with respect to x. Then, you solve for y' (the derivative of y) by isolating it on one side of the equation. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve.

4. Can implicit differentiation only be used for finding the equation of a tangent line?

No, implicit differentiation can be used for many other applications in mathematics, such as finding the second derivative, determining concavity and inflection points, and solving optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using implicit differentiation?

Yes, implicit differentiation can become more complicated and difficult to use when dealing with higher-order derivatives or functions with multiple variables. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and algebra to perform accurately.