In space, an accelerating platform hit my feet from under

In summary: I suppose you mean a moving train accelerating horizontally, in that case yes the ball wouldn't land right back on your hand but on a different spot.Yes, that is correct.
Ryan Bruch
Suppose I am stationary in space (no velocity). My body is straight. There is a stationary ball right beside me (also no velocity). Then an accelerating platform hit my feet and the ball from under. Now the ball and I are in contact with the platform constantly and accelerate at the same rate as the platform does (is this right?). It would be like I am standing on the platform.

So:

1. If I Jump from the platform, would I land back on the platform?
2. If I pick up the ball on the platform, would I feel that it is heavy?
3. If I pick up the ball from the platform and let go of it, would it land back on the platform?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, you will. Since the platform is accelerating, it will catch back up to you, which is indistinguishable from jumping into the air and falling back to the ground.
2. Yes, because the force exerted by the platform is transferred through your arm to the ball, so you will feel its weight.
3. It would land back on the platform for the same reason that you yourself would land back on the platform after jumping.

Drakkith said:
1. Yes, you will. Since the platform is accelerating, it will catch back up to you, which is indistinguishable from jumping into the air and falling back to the ground.
2. Yes, because the force exerted by the platform is transferred through your arm to the ball, so you will feel its weight.
3. It would land back on the platform for the same reason that you yourself would land back on the platform after jumping.

Wait, weren't I be accelerating at the same rate as the platform does after the accelerating platform hits my feet like an elevator?

Ryan Bruch said:
Wait, weren't I be accelerating at the same rate as the platform does after the accelerating platform hits my feet like an elevator?

You would be accelerating at the same rate as the platform as long as you were standing on it. When you jump and are above it, you are no longer accelerating, so the platform catches up to you.

Ryan Bruch said:

You won't keep accelerating once you stop touching the platform due to the law of inertia. That is the same reason you'd feel your own and the ball's weight when standing on the accelerating platform.

Drakkith said:
When you jump and are above it, you are no longer accelerating, so the platform catches up to you.

Wouldn't I be remaining in motion per Newton's first law, like how I throw
Cruz Martinez said:
You won't keep accelerating once you stop touching the platform due to your body's inertia. That is the same reason you'd feel your own and the ball's weight.

Wait, I am in space. Isn't my situation the same as this: "If I throw a ball upward while on the roof of a moving train, the ball would land right back in my hand instead of landing farther back"?

Ryan Bruch said:
Wait, I am in space. Isn't my situation the same as this: "If I throw a ball upward while on the roof of a moving train, the ball would land right back in my hand instead of landing farther back"?

That also happens due to the law of inertia. The law of inertia says that an object on which no forces act keeps a constant velocity along a straight line, in this case the "conserved" velocity is along the direction of motion of the train since no forces act in that direction.

In the case of the accelerating platform, once you jump up and stop touching the platform, your veocity will be constant i.e. you will stop accelerating.

Cruz Martinez said:
That also happens due to the law of inertia. The law of inertia says that an object on which no forces act keeps a constant velocity along a straight line, in this case the "conserved" velocity is along the direction of motion of the train since no forces act in that direction.

In the case of the accelerating platform, once you jump up and stop touching the platform, your veocity will be constant i.e. you will stop accelerating.

So if the train in my example is accelerating, the ball would not land right back in my hand? please use "correct" or "incorrect."

Ryan Bruch said:
So if the train in my example is accelerating, the ball would not land right back in my hand? please use "correct" or "incorrect."

I suppose you mean a moving train accelerating horizontally, in that case yes the ball wouldn't land right back on your hand but on a different spot.

Okay, I understand now. The condition would be like when I am on Earth, but what about liquid water? Assuming that the platform is covered with a dorm, the temperature is optimal, and the dorm is filled with enough gas so that the pressure is enough for water to become liquid, how would it behave?

It would behave nearly identically to how it behaves on Earth. I say nearly identically because you don't have tidal forces when accelerating on a platform like you do with gravity. This is the Equivalence Principle as initially stated by Einstein: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle

So the original equivalence principle, as described by Einstein, concluded that free-fall and inertial motion were physically equivalent. This form of the equivalence principle can be stated as follows. An observer in a windowless room cannot distinguish between being on the surface of the Earth, and being in a spaceship in deep space accelerating at 1g. This is not strictly true, because massive bodies give rise to tidal effects (caused by variations in the strength and direction of the gravitational field) which are absent from an accelerating spaceship in deep space.

Drakkith said:
It would behave nearly identically to how it behaves on Earth.

Would the difference in how it behaves be apparent (can be seen with the naked eyes)?

Ryan Bruch said:
Would the difference in how it behaves be apparent (can be seen with the naked eyes)?

There would be no visible difference.

Related to In space, an accelerating platform hit my feet from under

1. How does an accelerating platform affect the human body in space?

An accelerating platform can significantly impact the human body in space. As the platform moves with acceleration, it will exert a force on any object or person on its surface. This force can cause a feeling of weightlessness and can also affect the blood flow and balance of the body.

2. What are the potential risks of being on an accelerating platform in space?

The potential risks of being on an accelerating platform in space include loss of balance and coordination, nausea and disorientation, and potential injuries from falling or colliding with other objects. In extreme cases, the acceleration can also cause damage to internal organs.

3. How can astronauts prepare for being on an accelerating platform in space?

Astronauts undergo rigorous training and conditioning to prepare for the effects of acceleration in space. This includes practicing balance exercises, learning how to control their movements and breathing, and wearing specialized equipment to help mitigate the impact of acceleration on the body.

4. Can an accelerating platform in space be dangerous for long-term missions?

Yes, an accelerating platform can be dangerous for long-term missions in space. Prolonged exposure to acceleration can lead to muscle atrophy, loss of bone density, and other health issues. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully monitor and manage the acceleration levels during extended missions.

5. How can scientists use an accelerating platform in space for research?

An accelerating platform in space can be a valuable tool for scientists to study the effects of gravity and acceleration on the human body. They can also use it to simulate different levels of acceleration and conduct experiments to understand the impact on various systems and materials. This research can help in the development of better technology and training methods for future space missions.