Incoherence of Light Sources: Phase Difference & Intensity

In summary, when two light sources have a rapidly changing phase difference between them, they are considered incoherent. This results in the intensities of the two sources adding up rather than interfering with each other. This is significant when considering the wave characteristics of light and how it is perceived by a detector. However, there may be some confusion regarding the definition of "incoherent" as it may refer to a predictable change in phase difference rather than a random one.
person_random_normal
Why will it happen so that-two light sources such that the
''phase difference between the two vibrating sources changes
rapidly with time, we say that the two sources are incoherent and when
this happens the intensities just add up ''

assuming that the wave characteristics of light are significant

Science news on Phys.org
The intensity of the superposition of two waves are in general
$$
|E(t)|^2 = |E_1(t)|^2 + |E_2(t)|^2 + 2|E_1(t)||E_2(t)|\cos \Delta\phi(t)
$$
The intensity is perceived by a classical detector as an integrated signal over a certain time interval. If the phase difference ##\Delta \phi(t)## varies very rapidly within this recording interval, then the 3rd term above will be very small as compared to the first two terms. In this case
$$
I_{total} \approx I_1+I_2
$$
where ##I_i \propto \int_0^T |E_i(t)|^2 dt## with ##T## the measurement interval and ##i=1,2##.

Likes person_random_normal
Shreyas Samudra said:
Why will it happen so that-two light sources such that the
''phase difference between the two vibrating sources changes
rapidly with time, we say that the two sources are incoherent and when
this happens the intensities just add up ''

assuming that the wave characteristics of light are significant
In day-to-day engineering terms we might loosely say that incoherent sources add on a power basis and coherent ones on a voltage basis. Actually, I am not sure about your definition of "incoherent", because it allows for the phase shift to be changing in a predictable manner. I would expect the term to refer to the case when the phase difference is randomly changing.

Thank you !

1. What is the phase difference between two incoherent light sources?

The phase difference between two incoherent light sources refers to the difference in the timing of the oscillations of their respective electric fields. Incoherent light sources have random phase differences, meaning that the timing of their oscillations cannot be predicted or controlled.

2. How does the phase difference affect the interference pattern of incoherent light sources?

The phase difference between two incoherent light sources results in a lack of a stable interference pattern. This is because the random phase differences cause the waves to cancel each other out at different points, resulting in an overall chaotic interference pattern.

3. Can the intensity of incoherent light sources be controlled?

No, the intensity of incoherent light sources cannot be controlled due to their random phase differences. This means that the amplitude of the resulting waves cannot be predicted or controlled, resulting in a constantly changing intensity.

4. How is coherence different from incoherence in terms of light sources?

Coherent light sources have a constant phase difference, resulting in a stable interference pattern and the ability to control the intensity of the waves. In contrast, incoherent light sources have random phase differences and lack a stable interference pattern, making it impossible to control their intensity.

5. What are some real-world examples of incoherent light sources?

Some real-world examples of incoherent light sources include sunlight, incandescent light bulbs, and fluorescent lamps. These sources emit light with random phase differences, resulting in a lack of a stable interference pattern and unpredictable intensity.