Increase in rising air bubble's terminal velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of air bubbles in water in relation to buoyancy and terminal velocity. It is mentioned that the velocity of the bubble depends on buoyancy, which in turn depends on the velocity, making it difficult to calculate. It is suggested that a computer simulation may be needed to solve this problem. The conversation also mentions conducting an experiment to compare theoretical and measured velocity of bubbles in different types of water.
PhyVibDsics
Hi! As we know air bubble in the water rises due to buoyancy and quickly reaches its terminal velocity. What is more, as bubble rises the pressure decreases, consequently the volume of the bubble increases resulting in buoyancy becoming larger. So the terminal velocity doesn't remain constant, but should increase proportionaly (like a linear function). And the difficult part here is that velocity (speed of rising) depends on buoyancy, but buoyancy depends on the velocity as well.. Sooo..

Does anybody know any useful equations, ways to calculate this? As far as I know, it is only solvable with a computer simulation. Does anybody know where to find any articles adressing this problem? I want to/am planning to do an experiment for a research (so called extended essay in my educational program) and I would like to have some more theory on this..

Thanks for your help, I hope I wasn't too long, but in my opinion it is really interesting haha.. Even though I'm looking for this because of school, I think I wouldn't classify this thread as HW, exercises.. (am a new forum user so don't want to break no rules haha).

Physics news on Phys.org
Air saturated water? Air-free water? Super-saturated?

Bystander said:
Air saturated water? Air-free water? Super-saturated?
Imagine producing a bubble with pippete or something similar into a normal tap water at the bottom of a 2m high cylinder. Or maybe even oil; that would result in in bubbles being rounder even at little bit bigger radiuses because of surface tension if I'm correct (easier to conduct an experiment)

Look up coefficient of drag for spheres. An air bubble is not really a sphere, but the the drag coefficient will be close enough for your purposes. You will see that the drag coefficient is a function of velocity and bubble size, so that pretty much forces you to use a numerical (computer simulation) solution.

It should be a fun experiment. Easy to do, easy to measure velocity, easy to change bubble size, and a good chance to compare theoretical speed to measured speed.

1. What factors affect the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble?

The terminal velocity of a rising air bubble is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the bubble, the density of the surrounding fluid, and the buoyancy force acting on the bubble.

2. How does the viscosity of the fluid impact the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble?

The viscosity of the fluid has a significant impact on the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble. Higher viscosity fluids, such as honey, will result in a lower terminal velocity due to increased resistance to flow. Lower viscosity fluids, such as water, will allow the bubble to reach a higher terminal velocity.

3. How does the temperature of the fluid affect the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble?

The temperature of the fluid can impact the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble. Generally, higher temperatures will result in a lower terminal velocity due to decreased fluid density. However, at very high temperatures, the viscosity of the fluid may also decrease, resulting in a higher terminal velocity.

4. Can the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble be increased?

Yes, the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble can be increased through various methods, such as increasing the size or shape of the bubble, decreasing the density of the surrounding fluid, or reducing the buoyancy force acting on the bubble.

5. How is the terminal velocity of a rising air bubble calculated?

The terminal velocity of a rising air bubble can be calculated using the drag force equation, which takes into account the size and shape of the bubble, the viscosity and density of the fluid, and the buoyancy force. This equation can be solved using numerical methods or by conducting experiments to measure the terminal velocity.