Can Adding a Lens to a Small Solar Dish Increase Its Heat Output?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of increasing the output of a smaller satellite dish used as a solar reflector by adding a lens. The expert explains that while adding a lens may change the surface temperature of the target, it will not increase the overall output as the dish already collects all available energy. They also suggest using a combination of liquid and stones as a thermal storage medium and mention the use of cylinders with reflective backs for solar panels. However, the high cost of these panels is noted as a drawback.
BurnIt0017
Increase reflector output?

Greetings, I have been workings on a Solar Tracker. I have some small TV sat dishes that I am planning to cover with Mylar to create the reflector. After viewing some videos on YouTube I noticed that a larger dish produces more heat. Would adding a lens increase output of a smaller dish?

Attachments

• reflector.jpg
    reflector.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 443
Science news on Phys.org

BurnIt0017 said:
Greetings, I have been workings on a Solar Tracker. I have some small TV sat dishes that I am planning to cover with Mylar to create the reflector. After viewing some videos on YouTube I noticed that a larger dish produces more heat. Would adding a lens increase output of a smaller dish?

Alas, no. Your dish already collects any energy that's available. You can focus it on a large or small target (depending on what you want) but all you will achieve is a different surface temperature, depending on how small your 'spot' is. There is something to be said for using a large spot because a small spot at high temperature is more likely to re-radiate some of the energy you have received.

I once used a 0.5m diameter microwave dish and coated it with cooking foil. It would boil small quantities of water, in a black metal can, very quickly. The effective power would have been a couple of hundred Watts, I guess, in full sunlight. The 'optical' quality wasn't too good but, as the target was several cm across, it didn't matter.

The optics of combining a number of small dishes would be hard because their focus is too close to each dish to get all the spots to converge. The overall received power would be the sum of all the dish powers. Do you actually need it all focused on one spot?

Greetings, my goal is to make one simple working unit using one small dish and if that works then make more. So if use this configuration all I am doing is changing the location of the focal point. I have seen thermal storage unit that just use liquid like water, could you store more heat if a combination of liquid and stones where used in the thermal mass? Thanks for the heads up and best regards.

Attachments

• AZRUNESUNTRACKER.jpg
    AZRUNESUNTRACKER.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 393
  • RegSizeMCcircuit.jpg
    RegSizeMCcircuit.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 418

Water is an ideal thermal storage medium as it has the highest specific heat capacity of all common materials and your maximum temperature will not need to be very high (which is where rocks can be an advantage, in electric night storage heaters for instance).

Your idea of focusing the sunlight is a good one, particularly where the Sun is 'feeble'. Some of the up-market panels use cylinders with clear fronts and reflective backs, focussing the sunlight onto narrow tubes along the axis. They give hot water (albeit small quantities) in almost any daylight conditions because of this focussing advantage and resulting high temperature.
They do not use fancy tracking - they just use a larger area than strictly necessary to cope with the pointing losses.
I fancied using them until I saw the PRICES!:eek:

I can provide some insights on the topic of increasing reflector output. Firstly, it is important to note that the efficiency of a reflector is determined by its shape, size, and the material used. Therefore, simply adding a lens to a smaller dish may not necessarily increase its output, as the overall design and materials used also play a crucial role.

However, in theory, adding a lens to a smaller dish could potentially increase the concentration of sunlight onto a smaller area, resulting in higher temperatures and potentially higher output. This is because the lens can focus the sunlight onto a smaller area, increasing the intensity of the light.

Additionally, using Mylar to cover the dish can also help increase reflectivity, as Mylar is a highly reflective material. However, it is important to ensure that the Mylar is properly secured and not wrinkled, as this can affect the reflectivity.

Furthermore, it is also important to consider the angle of the reflector and the position of the sun. A properly angled reflector can maximize the amount of sunlight it receives, resulting in higher output.

In conclusion, while adding a lens and using Mylar can potentially increase the output of a smaller dish, it is important to also consider other factors such as the design, materials, and positioning of the reflector. Experimentation and testing with different configurations can help determine the best approach for increasing reflector output.

1. How can I increase the output of my reflector?

One way to increase the output of a reflector is by using a reflective coating on its surface. This coating can help to reflect more light and increase the overall output of the reflector.

2. Can changing the shape of the reflector increase its output?

Yes, changing the shape of the reflector can have a significant impact on its output. A parabolic or ellipsoidal shape can help to focus and direct the light, resulting in a higher output.

3. Will using a larger reflector increase its output?

In most cases, using a larger reflector will indeed increase its output. This is because a larger surface area can capture and reflect more light, resulting in a higher output.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the output of a reflector?

Yes, the material used to make the reflector can also play a role in its output. Reflectors made from high-quality materials with a high reflectivity, such as silver or aluminum, will have a higher output compared to those made from lower quality materials.

5. Can I combine multiple reflectors to increase their output?

Yes, combining multiple reflectors can result in a higher output. This can be achieved by positioning the reflectors in a way that allows them to work together to reflect and focus the light in a desired direction.