Index Notation of div(a:b) and div(c^transpose d)

In summary, we discussed the index notation for the divergence of a product of a 4th rank tensor and a 2nd rank tensor as well as a 3rd rank tensor and a vector. We also looked at the use of covariant and contra-variant formulations and their manipulations. The notation for divergence includes the use of ":" for summation over repeated subscripts and "." for matrix vector multiplication. It is possible to use indices other than 0 for time depending on the problem. Finally, we clarified that d is a vector and can be represented as a (3x1) or (2x1) vector in 3D or 2D respectively.
chowdhury
TL;DR Summary
What is the index notation for divergence of tensor?
What is the index notation of divergence of product of 4th rank tensor and second rank tensor?

What is the index notation of divergence of 3rd rank tensor and vector?

div(a:b) = div(c^transpose. d)
Where a = 4th rank tensor, b is second rank tensor, c is 3rd rank tensor and d is a vector.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]A^{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\beta}:=F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]
or
[tex]C^{\mu\nu\alpha}D_{\alpha}:=F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]
and its divergence is
[tex]\frac{\partial F^{\mu\nu}}{\partial x^\nu}=F^{\mu\nu}_{\ \ \ ,\nu}:=G^{\mu} [/tex]
or in GR with covariant derivative
[tex]F^{\mu\nu}_{\ \ \ :\nu}:=G^{\mu} [/tex]
For all these equations you have to appoint which index and which index should be contracted by dummy indexes. The above shown is an example from many other possible ways.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am not familiar with the covariant and contra-variant formulations and their manipulations. Can it be written as below? $$ div(a:b) + \frac {\partial^2 G} {\partial t^2} = div(c^{transpose}. d) $$ $$ (a_{ijkl}b_{kl})_{,j} + G_{i,tt}= (c_{ijk}^{transpose} d_{,k}),j $$
$$ (a_{ijkl}b_{kl})_{,j} + G_{i,tt}= (c_{kij} d_{,k}),j $$

I am not familiar with the symbols ":" and "." used here. Someone will confirm it.

Is d a scalar as you show gradient ##d,_k## ? I am not sure how to interpret "transpose" for 3 indexes entity as ##c_{ijk}##. Einstein summation convention is usually for 4-spacetime coordinates, i.e. i=0,1,2,3. It may cause confusion to apply it for i=1,2,3 not including t.

I prefer to note ",t,t" than ",tt" for applying time derivative twice but it would be just a matter of taste.

Last edited:
1.) ":" means summation over repeated subscripts like $$a_{ijkl} b_{kl}$$ here sum over k and l for allowed.
2.) "." is just a matrix vector multiplication, like $$c_{ijk}d_{k}$$ summ over all allowed k.
3.) It is certainly allowable for index i, j,k,l to include with or without 0, as depending on the problem, here in my case, space, these are from the set of {x,y,z} or {1,2,3}, and 0 does not exist, as I exclusively denote time
4.) I mentioned in my original post d is a vector, for 3D, it is a (3x1) vector, for 2D it is a (2x1) vector.

1. What is the meaning of "div" in index notation?

In index notation, "div" stands for divergence, which is a mathematical operation used to calculate the rate of flow of a vector field out of a given point.

2. How is "a:b" written in index notation?

"a:b" in index notation is written as "aibi", where i represents the index notation for the components of the vectors a and b.

3. What does "c^transpose" mean in index notation?

"c^transpose" in index notation refers to the transpose of the vector c, which is a matrix operation that flips the rows and columns of a vector.

4. How is "div(a:b)" calculated in index notation?

"div(a:b)" in index notation is calculated by taking the partial derivative of each component of the vector a with respect to its corresponding component in the vector b, and then summing these derivatives together.

5. Can "div(c^transpose d)" be simplified in index notation?

Yes, "div(c^transpose d)" can be simplified in index notation to "cidi", where i represents the index notation for the components of the vectors c and d.