Induced current in an inductor

In summary, the author is trying to understand how induced current affects the circuit, and how it produces a potential difference between two points. He thinks that some charges must travel from A to B, before a potential difference appears between A and B. However, current flows from left to right in the inductor, so an induced current can cause positive charges to flow from right to left and develop a potential difference across the inductor.
Vibhor
I am struggling with the concept of induced current in a circuit consisting of an inductor and how that induced current establishes back EMF .

Please see the page of the textbook attached .

There is a circuit consisting of an inductor , a series resistance (not shown) and a battery ( not shown ) .Initially when the switched is closed an increasing current Iext starts flowing in the circuit .This enters the inductor from left in anti-clockwise direction as seen from left . An induced current Iin starts flowing in the inductor in the clockwise direction as seen from left .

I have a few questions .

1) Are there two currents Iext and Iin flowing in the inductor ?How are the two currents flowing simultaneously in the inductor ? And what is the relationship between the two currents ?

I believe there is only one current flowing through the circuit .Same current Iext flows through the inductor as well as other components .

2) Current flows from left to right in the inductor , so how can induced current cause positive charges to flow from right to left and develop a potential difference across the inductor ?Again , how can two currents flow in the inductor simultaneously ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Page1.png
    Page1.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
I am struggling with the concept of induced current in a circuit consisting of an inductor and how that induced current establishes back EMF .

Please see the page of the textbook attached .

There is a circuit consisting of an inductor , a series resistance (not shown) and a battery ( not shown ) .Initially when the switched is closed an increasing current Iext starts flowing in the circuit .This enters the inductor from left in anti-clockwise direction as seen from left . An induced current Iin starts flowing in the inductor in the clockwise direction as seen from left .

I have a few questions .

1) Are there two currents Iext and Iin flowing in the inductor ?How are the two currents flowing simultaneously in the inductor ? And what is the relationship between the two currents ?

I believe there is only one current flowing through the circuit .Same current Iext flows through the inductor as well as other components .

2) Current flows from left to right in the inductor , so how can induced current cause positive charges to flow from right to left and develop a potential difference across the inductor ?Again , how can two currents flow in the inductor simultaneously ?

Thanks

The author seems to think that some charges must travel from A to B, before a potential difference appears between A and B. And that is not true.

When a magnet starts to move, an electric field pops into existence. Different parts of an electric field are at different potentials, because there's an electric field between the points.

I agree that the text's explanation in terms of two currents flowing simultaneously could be confusing. At any instant of time there is only one current at any point of the circuit. For me, it's less confusing to think in terms of an opposing emf produced by the induced electric field of the changing magnetic field.

When a wire is carrying a steady current, there is an electric field inside the wire that pushes the charge carriers along. So if the inductor is carrying a steady current, there is already an electric field inside the wire. But when the current in the inductor increases, the induced electric field (created by the changing magnetic field) is in a direction to oppose the current. The net electric field is thus reduced. The emf associated with the induced electric field is the "induced emf".

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
I agree that the text's explanation in terms of two currents flowing simultaneously could be confusing. At any instant of time there is only one current at any point of the circuit. For me, it's less confusing to think in terms of an opposing emf produced by the induced electric field of the changing magnetic field.

When a wire is carrying a steady current, there is an electric field inside the wire that pushes the charge carriers along. So if the inductor is carrying a steady current, there is already an electric field inside the wire. But when the current in the inductor increases, the induced electric field (created by the changing magnetic field) is in a direction to oppose the current. The net electric field is thus reduced. The emf associated with the induced electric field is the "induced emf".

Thank you very much .

Can we think of back EMF as a battery of variable potential difference ?

If yes , then if an ideal inductor is put across a battery(of EMF E) ,then how does current starts to flow as it would be a case of two equal and opposite EMF's in the circuit ?

My thinking is that even though it appears that E =Ldi/dt , the battery EMF would always be a bit higher than the back EMF because of resistance in the inductor coils .

Even if we assume there is no resistance in the inductor , then too the battery EMF is the cause and back EMF is its effect . The current however small it might be (negligiable) must flow through the coils first , only then we have a rate of change of current .As soon as the first electron crosses the coils , di/dt comes in picture and back EMF is established .

Please correct my reasoning .

There is no reason why the back emf should be equal to or even approximately equal to the applied emf. It all depends on the geometry of the inductor, the nature of the core of the inductor, the resistance of the circuit, and probably other factors.

Yes, in order for there to be any back emf at all, there must first be some current that is changing with time.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
There is no reason why the back emf should be equal to or even approximately equal to the applied emf.

If we have an ideal inductor across a voltage source (as given in most textbooks ) ,applying Kirchoff's Law around the closed loop gives E = Ldi/dt . Isn't back EMF equal to applied EMF ?

Vibhor said:
If we have an ideal inductor across a voltage source (as given in most textbooks ) ,applying Kirchoff's Law around the closed loop gives E = Ldi/dt . Isn't back EMF equal to applied EMF ?
Oh. I didn't realize that you were now setting the resistance of the circuit to zero. (Superconducting wires?) I'm not sure what will happen in this odd case! If Kirchhoff's loop rule is assumed to still hold, then, yes, it does appear the back emf must equal the applied emf at each instant of time. You can easily solve E = Ldi/dt for a constant E to see how the current varies with time.

Likes Vibhor
Ok .

The text attached in the OP states that in case of back EMF , there is a charge separation at the two terminals of the inductor coil ( just like a dc battery ) .It even compares it with motional EMF [When a rod moves perpendicular to magnetic field , opposite charges move to opposite ends] . Is that correct ?

I'm reluctant to agree with the text's description. For the motional emf where you have just a rod by itself moving through a B field, there will be a charge build-up on the ends of the rod. But, when the moving rod is part of an overall circuit (e.g., sliding along rails), you would not get any significant charge buildup on the ends of the rod. Likewise, when an inductor is part of a circuit, the emf induced by the inductor is not really due to charge buildup on the ends of the inductor. But some people might find it helpful to assign a "polarity" to the ends of the inductor to indicate the "direction" of the induced emf. But the induced emf is not due to charge building up on the ends of the inductor. The induced emf is due to the induced electric field created by the changing B field (which is due to the changing current!). That's my understanding, anyway.

Likes Vibhor
Vibhor said:
I am struggling with the concept of induced current in a circuit consisting of an inductor and how that induced current establishes back EMF
This problems comes up very often on this forum. One way of understanding what is happening is to look at a mechanical analogy. Inductance is like inertia. Imagine applying a force (EMF) to a heavy mass (the inductor). According to Newton, it starts to move (there is current), and it accelerates (the current is growing). Newton also says that every action has a reaction. So the mass is pushing against you with the same force as you are pushing it (the back EMF). But if action = reaction (EMF = BEMF), does this mean that no movement can take place? No. The two are equal only when acceleration is taking place. If you understand the laws of motion, then an inductor is an exact parallel.
There is only one current, and the EMF always equals the BEMF provided the current is allowed to grow. If there is a series resistor, however, there will be a ceiling on the current, so eventually the BEMF will drop to zero and the current will be that for a resistor alone. It is just as if the heavy mass you are pushing is a boat, where it will eventually accelerate no more and you will be pushing against water resistance alone.
FInally, may I mention that all components in a circuit create opposition to current flow, and hence they all develop BEMFs, and all the BEMFs add up to the applied voltage.

What is induced current in an inductor?

Induced current in an inductor is the flow of electric charge that occurs when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through the inductor, causing a voltage to be induced across the inductor.

What causes induced current in an inductor?

Induced current in an inductor is caused by a change in the magnetic field passing through the inductor. This can occur when the current or voltage in a nearby circuit changes, or when the inductor itself experiences a change in its own magnetic field.

How is induced current in an inductor calculated?

The magnitude of induced current in an inductor can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the inductor. The induced current can then be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

What is the difference between induced current and direct current (DC)?

The main difference between induced current and direct current is the source of the electric charge flow. Induced current is caused by a changing magnetic field, while direct current is produced by a steady flow of electric charge from a power source. Induced current also has a constantly changing direction, while direct current flows in one direction.

How is induced current used in practical applications?

Induced current in inductors is used in a variety of practical applications, including transformers, motors, generators, and electronic filters. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in devices such as metal detectors and induction cooktops.