Induced emf is proportional to the magnetic flux

In summary, the conversation discusses Faraday's Law and the concept of induced EMF being proportional to the change in magnetic flux linking a conductor. There is a debate about whether there is induced EMF when a conductor moves in a uniform magnetic field, with one person arguing that the magnetic flux linking to the conductor would always remain the same. However, it is explained that as the conductor moves, every point in it experiences a change in the magnetic field, resulting in a change in magnetic flux and therefore, induced EMF. The example of a tape recorder using induction is also mentioned to demonstrate this concept. Ultimately, it is stated that Faraday's Law has been proven to be valid and there are no exceptions to it.
haleycomet2
According to the faraday's law,the induced emf is proportional to the magnetic flux change linking the conductor.However,I wonder why there is induced emf when conductor is moving in uniform magnetic field,because i think that the magnetic flux linking to it is always the same as it move in the uniform magnetic field.
ps:I suppose that magnetic flux is continuously flowing.
Can anyone point out where I wrong?Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A moving conductor in a static magnetic field is the same as a static conductor in a moving magnetic field. When one is moving in relation to the other you will have induced EMF. It doesn't matter which one is moving.

I think that magnetic flux is the amount of magnetic field passing through the surface of conductor.Therefore,even though there is relative motion ,but the magnetic flux linking to the conductor don't change(no flux change)in uniform magnetic field,isn't it?Or,in other words,the flux linking to the conductor in uniform magnetic field is same no matter the conductor moves or not,isn't it?

haleycomet2 said:
I think that magnetic flux is the amount of magnetic field passing through the surface of conductor.Therefore,even though there is relative motion ,but the magnetic flux linking to the conductor don't change(no flux change)in uniform magnetic field,isn't it?Or,in other words,the flux linking to the conductor in uniform magnetic field is same no matter the conductor moves or not,isn't it?

As the conductor moves every point in it experiences a change in the magnetic field, resulting in a change in magnetic flux. I don't believe there is a way to move something and keep the flux the same.

If you are moving the conductor then you are imparting a velocity to the charges in the conductor. A moving charge experiences a force from a magnetic field via the Lorentz force. Hence, the magnetic field will induce an EMF in a moving conductor. If you looked at the problem in the reference frame of the moving conductor, you would have to apply a Lorentz transformation to the magnetic field. This transformed field will have an electric field and this electric field can exert a force on the now stationary charges in the conductor via the Lorentz force and induce the same EMF.

A tape recorder illustrates induction very well. The individual bar magnets on the tape are unchanging, i.e. a fixed static mag field. When the tape is still & contacts the head, no induction takes place since the flux is static. But pressing the "play" switch moves the tape past the heads resulting in induction. Although the bar magnets on the tape surface remain static, the field encountered by the head is time changing. As each magnetic particle passes the head, the mag field at the location of the head gap is continuously changing, thus induction takes place.

Adapters for car tape players can accept a CD & generate a time changing mag field from the CD signal. When the module is inserted into the tape player, the mag field emitter comes in close proximity to the tape mag head. The head gap now encounters a stationary device with a mag field that varies with time. Induction takes place & the CD signal is picked up by the tape head & amplified.

Induction takes place when the incident mag field in the pickup circuit encounters time change. The said time change can be due to a varying field, or motion, or the combination. Faraday's Law has been repeatedly affirmed since the mid 19th century. It is known to be valid.

Claude

Last edited:
Here's a calculator to find the http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/genwir2.html#c1"

genwir.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your detail explanation.I just can't understand how the flux change with the relative motion in uniform magnetic field(the tape in tape recorder still experience flux change as it pasts the magnet,so there is induced emf).I try to describe my question more clearly.

Lets say we are holding a "basin" (conductor),walking in rain.If the "rainfall" (magnetic field) is constant,then the "rainwater collected in the basin per second"(magnetic flux linking to the conductor per second) is independent to our "walking speed"(relative motion)(unless we go upward),isn't it?
I know this is a bit weird :smile:,but it is close to what i am thinking.
Thank you.

Last edited:
So the question is about a uniform (i.e constant everywhere) magnetic field.

If the conducting loop moves without rotating, the flux is constant so no induced EMF. But if the loop does rotate, then the flux changes and there is an induced EMF in that case.

Last edited:

Related to Induced emf is proportional to the magnetic flux

1. How is induced emf related to magnetic flux?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is directly proportional to the change in magnetic flux. This means that as the magnetic flux passing through a circuit changes, the induced emf will also change in the same direction.

2. What is the equation for induced emf?

The equation for induced emf is E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced emf, N is the number of turns in the coil, and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect induced emf?

The strength of a magnetic field does not directly affect the induced emf. However, as the magnetic field changes, the induced emf will also change in proportion to the change in magnetic flux.

4. How is the direction of induced emf determined?

The direction of induced emf is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced emf will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

5. What is the practical application of induced emf being proportional to magnetic flux?

This relationship is the basis for many important technologies, such as generators and transformers, which use the changing magnetic flux to generate electricity or transfer it from one circuit to another.