Induction Electric - Does Iron/Steel Work?

In summary, magnets and batteries are used to create an electric field and generate voltage. If you're looking to generate energy using a regular old object, it likely won't work - you'll need to use a magnet or battery. Electrical coating is a far reach for this question, but it's an interesting possibility.
magman64
recently really got myself wet in the subject of electricity and magnets. done a couple of homework and it seems that everyone utilizes magnets and batteries to project the object through the coils center to induce energy, but I'm wondering why is that? i guess the answer I'm looking for is does any regular old material work, for ex. a simple iron or steel object, being projected through the coil to induce energy, does it work that way or does it really have to be magnets/batteries? if not, is there any other possible way? i heard of electrical coating... but that's too much of a far reach.

Physics news on Phys.org
magman64 said:
recently really got myself wet in the subject of electricity and magnets. done a couple of homework and it seems that everyone utilizes magnets and batteries to project the object through the coils center to induce energy, but I'm wondering why is that? i guess the answer I'm looking for is does any regular old material work, for ex. a simple iron or steel object, being projected through the coil to induce energy, does it work that way or does it really have to be magnets/batteries? if not, is there any other possible way? i heard of electrical coating... but that's too much of a far reach.
Welcome to the PF.

The key concept here is Faraday's Law of Induction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction

The voltage ("EMF") induced in the coil is related to the *change* of the magnetic field piercing the plane of the coil.

Hi magman64!

If you're looking to learn more, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend grabbing a textbook on Electromagnetism and working through it as best you can. Some textbooks on electronic circuits also cover this area, since induction is an integral part of modern electronic technology. You can find used textbooks on amazon that sale for a couple of dollars. Less than the shipping price!

Related to Induction Electric - Does Iron/Steel Work?

1. What is induction electric?

Induction electric is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field. This can be done by using an alternating current in a coil of wire near the conductor, which induces an electric current in the conductor without making physical contact.

2. How does induction electric work?

Induction electric works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. When an alternating current is passed through a coil of wire, it produces a changing magnetic field that then induces a current in a nearby conductor.

3. Does induction electric work on iron and steel?

Yes, induction electric can work on iron and steel. Both of these materials are conductors of electricity and can be induced with an electric current through the process of electromagnetic induction.

4. What are the applications of induction electric?

Induction electric has many applications, including in electric motors, generators, transformers, and induction heating. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnetic levitation, and medical equipment such as MRI machines.

5. Is induction electric safe?

Yes, induction electric is generally considered safe. The electric current induced in the conductor is typically low and does not pose a risk of electric shock. However, caution should still be taken when working with high-voltage induction equipment, and proper safety measures should be followed.