Induction via Infinite sheet of Current

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of inducing a unidirectional electric field outside of an infinite sheet carrying current by changing the current linearly in a sawtooth fashion. It was suggested that this approach could eliminate the reversal of the field seen with a sine wave form. However, it was also mentioned that it is not possible to achieve completely unidirectional induction due to the flyback portion of the sawtooth, which creates a brief and intense pulse of induced field. The conversation ended with a request for help on this topic.
Brendan Graham
My thoughts are concerning an infinite sheet carrying current in a direction. I wish to induce a unidirectional electric field outside of the sheet via induction.

My ideas were that if the current was changed linearly in a sawtooth fashion, then I would achieve the induced electric field in only one direction. I was thinking that since the only decrease in current would occur without a change in time, then the reversal of the field, like with a sine wave form, would be eliminated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brendan Graham said:
My thoughts are concerning an infinite sheet carrying current in a direction. I wish to induce a unidirectional electric field outside of the sheet via induction.

My ideas were that if the current was changed linearly in a sawtooth fashion, then I would achieve the induced electric field in only one direction. I was thinking that since the only decrease in current would occur without a change in time, then the reversal of the field, like with a sine wave form, would be eliminated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this!
The flyback part of the sawtooth creates a brief very high amplitude pulse of induced field. You cannot obtain unidirectional induction.

1. What is induction via an infinite sheet of current?

Induction via an infinite sheet of current is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric field in a conductor placed parallel to an infinite sheet of current.

2. How does an infinite sheet of current produce a magnetic field?

An infinite sheet of current is a theoretical model used to represent a large number of current-carrying wires arranged in a plane. This model produces a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the sheet, with the strength of the field decreasing as the distance from the sheet increases.

3. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field induced by an infinite sheet of current?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field induced by an infinite sheet of current is B = μ0I/2π, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current per unit length of the sheet.

4. How does the direction of the induced electric field depend on the orientation of the infinite sheet of current?

The direction of the induced electric field is always parallel to the sheet of current. If the sheet is horizontal, the electric field will be horizontal as well, and if the sheet is vertical, the electric field will be vertical. This is because the changing magnetic field created by the infinite sheet of current is always perpendicular to the sheet, and according to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic field induces an electric field perpendicular to it.

5. What are some real-world applications of induction via an infinite sheet of current?

Induction via an infinite sheet of current is utilized in various technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, where the induced electric field creates a repulsive force between a magnet and a conducting plate. Additionally, this phenomenon is used in electromagnetic compatibility testing to assess the potential effects of electromagnetic fields on electronic devices.