Inelastic collision for equal masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of linear momentum in a collision between two equal masses. While it may seem that the final velocities of the masses could add up to equal the initial velocity, this is not the case as collisions do not act randomly. There is a missing constraint in the problem, with two unknowns and only one equation. One possible solution is to specify that it is a completely inelastic collision, which would mean that the objects stick together and have equal velocities after the collision. Another solution is to state the percentage of kinetic energy lost in the collision. Changing coordinates to a center of mass system can also provide a clearer picture of the situation.
Mr Davis 97
Assume that we have two equal masses that collide horizontally, where one is initially at rest. From the conservation of linear momentum, we have
##P_0 = P##
##mv_{10} = mv_{1} + mv_{2}##
##v_{10} = v_{1} + v_{2}##

Assuming we have an initial velocity, it would seem as though the final velocity of mass 1 could add with the final velocity of mass 2 in order to equal the initial velocity. However, this is not the case because collisions don't act randomly like that. Therefore, what am I missing? I know that in elastic collisions, ##v_{10} = v_{2}## because of the additional constraint posed by the conservation of mechanical energy, but I claimed that this was an inelastic collision. Is there some constraint that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equivocating on the variable ##m## ?

jbriggs444 said:
Equivocating on the variable ##m## ?
You might need to elaborate...

Mr Davis 97 said:
You might need to elaborate...
The problem is not fully specified. There are two unknowns, v1 and v2, and only one equation. One more condition comes from either stating that it is a completely inelastic collision,or stating the percentage of kinetic energy lost. Either one will give the necessary second condition.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Chandra Prayaga said:
The problem is not fully specified. There are two unknowns, v1 and v2, and only one equation. One more condition comes from either stating that it is a completely inelastic collision,or stating the percentage of kinetic energy lost. Either one will give the necessary second condition.
That answers my question. Thanks.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I claimed that this was an inelastic collision. Is there some constraint that I am missing?
In a completely inelastic collision, the objects "stick together", which means that their velocities are equal after the collision.

One way to get a clear picture is to change coordinates to a center of mass system. In that case, after collision, neither object will be moving when the collision is completely inelastic.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved do not have the same total kinetic energy as before the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

Can two objects with equal masses have an inelastic collision?

Yes, two objects with equal masses can have an inelastic collision. The masses of the objects do not determine whether a collision is elastic or inelastic, it is the amount of kinetic energy that is conserved that determines the type of collision.

What are some examples of inelastic collisions with equal masses?

Some examples of inelastic collisions with equal masses include two cars colliding, a ball hitting a wall, or two billiard balls colliding. In each of these examples, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision with equal masses?

In an inelastic collision with equal masses, momentum is conserved because the total mass of the system remains the same before and after the collision. While the kinetic energy may change, the total momentum of the system remains constant.