Inelastic Collision: Kinetic Energy vs Momentum

In summary, the change in kinetic energy is not equal to the difference in final and initial momentum.
xxphysics
In an inelastic collision is the change in kinetic energy equal to the difference of final and initial momentum if one of the objects is initially at rest? For example:

m1v = (m1+m2)Vf -----> 0 = (m1+m2)Vf - m1v1

1/2(m1+m2)Vf^2 - 1/2m1v^2 = (m1+m2)Vf - m1v1

Or totally wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Totally wrong. The units don't even match.

Momentum is conserved, so the difference between the initial and final momentum has to be zero. You've captured that when you wrote ##(m_1+m_2)v_f-m_1v_1=0## for the particular case in which ##m_2## starts at rest and the two masses stick together in the inelastic collision.

So when you ask whether the change in kinetic energy is equal to the difference between the initial and final momentum, you're asking whether the change in kinetic energy is equal to zero.

This would be a good time to stop and think about the definition of "inelastic collision".

Likes Biker and Chestermiller
xxphysics said:
In an inelastic collision is the change in kinetic energy equal to the difference of final and initial momentum if one of the objects is initially at rest?

OK, my take on this is that, this is a rather odd question. You're asking if

ΔK = Kf - Ki

This is odd because that is the DEFINITION of ΔK!

Zz.

This is not what the quoted sentence says. :)

Likes xxphysics
nasu said:
This is not what the quoted sentence says. :)

I am aware that the OP is mixing momentum with kinetic energy. I was hoping that this was an oversight, and not out of ignorance.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I was hoping that this was an oversight, and not out of ignorance.
It's more than possible that he didn't actually know??

Likes xxphysics
ZapperZ said:

ΔK = Kf - Ki

Zz.
Zz

ZapperZ said:
I am aware that the OP is mixing momentum with kinetic energy. I was hoping that this was an oversight, and not out of ignorance.

Zz.
Zz

Chestermiller said:
Totally wrong. The units don't even match.
sophiecentaur said:
It's more than possible that he didn't actually know??
Thank you :) I just thought they were both looking at the change in velocity and in both equations there is a way to account for the differences in mass (before and after collision) so I didn't think was absurd to wonder if there is a connection between the formulas.

ZapperZ said:

ΔK = Kf - Ki

Zz.
No my question was if you could relate the momentum equation of an inelastic collision to the change in kinetic energy of that collision

xxphysics said:
No my question was if you could relate the momentum equation of an inelastic collision to the change in kinetic energy of that collision
I see what you are after. There isn't a 1:1 relationship between the two quantities. Particular circumstances will give particular relationships.
Two situations with the same total momentum and different KE transferred to the collision. For convenience I have chosen to bring the motion to a halt. :
Two equal masses m&m, traveling towards each other at v and -v (Earth frame of reference) will have a total momentum of zero and a total KE of mv2. Now reduce one of the masses to 0.1m and increase its velocity to 10v. Total momentum is still zero but the KE is (mv2 +0.1m(100v2))/2 = (1+10)mv2/2 =5.5mv2.
This two trivial cases are enough to show that your idea can't be relied on. It's the squaring of the velocity that upsets things.

Likes xxphysics

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not bounce off each other and their final velocities are less than their initial velocities.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and momentum in an inelastic collision?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In an inelastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, but the kinetic energy of the system decreases while the momentum remains the same.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that some kinetic energy is lost.

Can an inelastic collision be perfectly elastic?

No, an inelastic collision cannot be perfectly elastic. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved.

What are some real-world examples of inelastic collisions?

Some examples of inelastic collisions include a car crash, a person catching a ball, and a bullet hitting a target. In all of these examples, there is a decrease in kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.