Inequality or just wrong? (algebra practice)

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: This is where other people's problems can come in handy. You can try to solve similar problems and compare your answer with theirs to see if you did it correctly. In summary, when practicing with inequalities, it is important to test your hypothesis through algebraic manipulation, but it can also be helpful to refer to other people's problems for comparison.
Tyrion101
I've been making up problems to practice with, and I came across something I couldn't tell on my own, and that is, how do you know that your problem is supposed to be an inequality or you did something wrong? Should I just be looking up other peoples problems instead to try and practice with?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without any specifics it would be very hard to answer your question.

if you can plot your answer then you can test a point on one side of the line of equality and then on the other side of the line. (assuming you have a line or bounding curve).

That could work for two-dimensional (three-dimensional, if you're really good at visualization) problems. However, I advise that you try to algebraically manipulate your problem, because often you will not be able to plot your "equation" on a graph.

Tyrion101 said:
I've been making up problems to practice with, and I came across something I couldn't tell on my own, and that is, how do you know that your problem is supposed to be an inequality or you did something wrong? Should I just be looking up other peoples problems instead to try and practice with?

You can regard the stated inequality as a HYPOTHESIS.
Going through steps for solving it, by simplifying it in a logically valid manner will REVEAL if the hypothesis was true or false.

However, if your initial inequality is too complicated, say non-linear, you might never be able to prove the truth or falsity of it.

Related to Inequality or just wrong? (algebra practice)

1. What is the difference between inequality and just being wrong in algebra?

Inequality in algebra refers to equations or expressions that are not equal to each other. This can be represented by symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. On the other hand, being wrong in algebra simply means making a mistake in solving a problem or arriving at an incorrect solution. Inequality and being wrong are two distinct concepts in algebra.

2. How can I determine if a given equation is an inequality or just wrong?

To determine if an equation is an inequality, look for symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. If any of these symbols are present, then the equation is an inequality. On the other hand, to determine if an equation is just wrong, try solving it using different methods or plugging in different values. If the resulting solution is incorrect or does not satisfy the original equation, then it is just wrong.

3. Can an inequality also be wrong?

Yes, an inequality can also be wrong. This can happen if a mistake is made in solving the inequality or if incorrect values are plugged in during the solving process. It is important to double-check solutions to ensure they satisfy the original inequality.

4. How do I solve an inequality?

The process of solving an inequality is similar to solving an equation. However, there are a few key differences. When solving an inequality, the direction of the inequality symbol (i.e. < or >) must be maintained throughout the solving process. Additionally, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the direction of the inequality must be flipped. The solution to an inequality is typically expressed using interval notation or set notation.

5. What are some real-life applications of inequalities in algebra?

Inequalities are commonly used in economics, finance, and statistics to represent relationships between variables. For example, in economics, inequalities can be used to represent the relationship between supply and demand. In finance, inequalities can be used to model profit and loss scenarios. In statistics, inequalities can be used to determine relationships between different sets of data.