Inertia matrix of my robot is non invertible under some conditions....

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a non-invertible total inertia matrix for a robotic manipulator. The model was developed in a paper, but the resulting matrix is non-invertible. The speaker has checked all steps and found no issues except for the spherical joint inertia. Dividing the matrix into smaller ones shows that the manipulator matrix is always invertible, but the spherical joint one is not. The speaker is looking for any ideas on what may be causing this issue.
Sed
Hello,

What could be wrong when the total inertia matrix of a robotic manipulator is non invertible when under certain values of the joint angles?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be more likely to get useful help if you showed us what your robot looks like and how the inertia matrix was developed.

The model is for a dynamically equivalent manipulator (fixed base with spherical passive joint). The model was developed in the attached paper.
I checked all the steps, everything seems fine except for the resulting inertia matrix.
The whole matrix is non invertible but if i divide it into small matrices where the upper right 3 by 3 matrix represents the spherical joint inertia and the lower right n by n matrix represent the rest of the manipulator. Then the manipulator matrix is always invertible and the spherical joint one is not.

If you have just an idea about what might cause the problem, i realize it's a long process to got through all the equation.

Thank you

Attachments

• liang_bin_1996_1.pdf
    904.8 KB · Views: 420

1. What is the significance of the inertia matrix in a robot?

The inertia matrix of a robot represents the distribution of mass and mass moments of inertia along each axis. It is an essential component in calculating the dynamics and control of a robot.

2. Why would the inertia matrix be non-invertible under certain conditions?

The inertia matrix can become non-invertible if the robot has redundant degrees of freedom or if there are constraints on the motion of the robot. This means that the matrix does not have an inverse and cannot be used in certain calculations.

3. How does a non-invertible inertia matrix affect the performance of the robot?

If the inertia matrix is non-invertible, it can limit the control and movement capabilities of the robot. This can result in decreased accuracy and stability, as well as slower response times.

4. Can the non-invertible inertia matrix be corrected?

In some cases, it is possible to modify the design or control algorithms of the robot to make the inertia matrix invertible. However, this may not always be feasible or practical, and alternative methods may need to be used to control the robot.

5. How can I prevent the inertia matrix from becoming non-invertible?

To avoid issues with a non-invertible inertia matrix, it is important to carefully consider the design and motion constraints of the robot. Additionally, using advanced control techniques and proper calibration can help to minimize the impact of a non-invertible inertia matrix.