Inertial confinement fusion (First light, NIF, etc)

In summary, the two approaches - implosion/compression fusion and inertial compression - both use inertial compression to achieve ignition. They differ in the way the fusion fuel is compressed, with the first approach using a spherical fuel mass while the second uses a liner. The first approach relies on the outwards propagating wave of alpha heating, while the second relies on the still present high mass spherical tamper. The ideal approach would be a high repetition rate symmetrical implosion of fresh fuel doses onto the center.
artis
More or less all ICF schemes seem to be similar to the first artificial fusion method (also inertial) of the secondary of the hydrogen bomb.

Before I present the question let me show just another ICF approach recently done. The company is called "first light fusion", Their method is essentially a different form of inertial compression similar to the Sandia Z imploding liner method but different in the aspect that it is not symmetrical as is the liner. Instead they use a plastic cube with a spherical fuel cavity inside and hit it from one side with a high velocity EM accelerated projectile.
It is hard to find any good schematics and papers from them but this youtube video in the middle and towards the end should do it for a simple explanation

Their webpage
https://firstlightfusion.com/Aside from the practical capability of either of mentioned approaches I have two questions.
1) In order for the implosion/compression fusion approach to be realistic/practical I get the impression that one would need to rely on the outwards propagating wave of alpha heating that starts from the center at the moment ignition conditions are reached in the collapsing/imploding fuel mass, so in order to "use" this heating wave as it travels outwards one would need to do subsequent fresh fuel implosions quickly enough so that the new fuel being compressed passes onto and through the outwards moving heat wave of the previous fuel while it's still "burning"
If the repetition rate is too slow (as it is for all current ICF approaches) then the heating done by the alpha particles is lost to the surrounding volume after each shot, just like the neutrons are lost from each shot.
Without the ability to conserve at least some of the heat from any previous shot for next shot fuel mass , more energy needs to be put in for each shot. In theory is such low repetition rate ICF viable in terms of energy gain over energy input?

2) Due to the brief high density of the fuel mass close to/at the and soon after implosion, do neutrons also contribute to fuel heating? I would think the man free path gets smaller for neutrons when fuel reaches high density.

And lastly there is one effect that is present in some of the ICF schemes but not others.
In the original ICF which was thermonuke secondary, the fusion fuel is surrounded by a tamper/pusher whereby the Xray radiation within the radiation channel hits the spherical secondary and the ablation of the surface of the high Z material creates a plasma of said material that propels outwards and pushes the tamper material inwards respectively, thereby compression is achieved. I think what happens when the fusion fuel achieves ignition is the pressure inside now pushes back outwards but this push is retarded by the still present high mass spherical tamper.
This I think limits the expansion velocity and gives more time for the fusion to be in the ignition state.
I do not see the same mechanism present in NIF for example, as the laser pulse implodes the fuel pellet the compressed and hot fuel is free to expand into vacuum and there is nothing in place to retard it's expansion prolonging the "burn".

On the other hand in other ICF approaches like the copper liner Sandia approach and aforementioned first light approach the fuel is either surrounded by a liner or within a plastic cube which I think somewhat performs the retardation role of the expanding plasma once the fuel mass achieves fusion conditions.
How important is this retardation aka slowing down of outwards expansion for ICF designs in order to increase efficiency of the burn?Would the ideal ICF approach be high repetition rate symmetrical implosion of fresh fuel doses onto the center , where the rate of repetition is high enough so that each next dose is imploded while the previous one is still in it's "outward expansion burn" state?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For 1, I read something that suggested a power plant would set off 1 every 30 seconds. This video suggests 5 seconds. I'd think the burn would be over in a millisecond? Making use of alpha heating directly in the compression of the next fuel cube doesn't sound possible to me. That energy should go into the lithium rain, and I would think the intention is that this moderates and captures the neutrons too. So that energy is also not lost. Liquid lithium is rather challenging to work with, I understand.

Isn't anyone else interested in this?

1. What is inertial confinement fusion?

Inertial confinement fusion is a type of fusion energy research that aims to create controlled nuclear fusion reactions by compressing and heating a small pellet of fuel with high-energy lasers. This process is similar to the way the sun produces energy.

2. How does inertial confinement fusion work?

In inertial confinement fusion, a small pellet of fuel, typically a mixture of deuterium and tritium, is placed inside a target chamber. High-powered lasers are then used to rapidly heat and compress the fuel, causing it to reach extreme temperatures and pressures, which triggers a fusion reaction.

3. What is the National Ignition Facility (NIF)?

The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is a large research facility located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California. It is the world's largest and most energetic laser system, designed specifically for conducting inertial confinement fusion experiments.

4. What is "First Light" in the context of NIF?

"First Light" refers to the first successful demonstration of inertial confinement fusion at the National Ignition Facility. This milestone was achieved in 2010 when the facility produced a record-breaking amount of fusion energy, marking a major step towards achieving sustainable fusion energy production.

5. What are the potential benefits of inertial confinement fusion?

If successful, inertial confinement fusion could provide a virtually limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It produces no greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste, making it a promising alternative to traditional fossil fuels. It could also have applications in other fields such as space propulsion and medical isotope production.