Infinitely differentiable functions

In summary, we can say that for an infinitely differentiable function F with support [-b,b], we can find a constant C and an integer k > 2 such that |F(x)| \leq C(x+b)^k. This is because the function must be continuous at the endpoints of the interval and all its derivatives are zero at those points, allowing us to use L'Hopital's rule to show that the function is bounded in a neighborhood of -b.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose I have an infinitely differentiable function F that is nonzero exactly on a set [-b,b]. Can I say that [itex]|F(x)| \leq C(x+b)^k[/itex] for some integer [itex]k > 2[/itex]? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that F is infinitely differentiable on the open interval (-b,b) but not necessarily continuous at the two endpoints of the closed interval [-b,b]? Because if it were continuous on the whole close interval [-b,b], then it would be bounded, so the conclusion would follow pretty trivially.

lugita15 said:
Are you saying that F is infinitely differentiable on the open interval (-b,b) but not necessarily continuous at the two endpoints of the closed interval [-b,b]?

I think that OP is saying that [itex]f[/itex] has support [itex][-b,b][/itex]. In any case, assuming that my interpretation is correct, I think that the claim is true. If [itex]f[/itex] is supported in [itex][-b,b][/itex], then certainly [itex]f^{(k)}(-b) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Since the [itex]k[/itex]-th derivative of [itex](x+b)^k[/itex] is [itex]k![/itex], it should be possible to show that [itex]|f(x)| \leq |x+b|^k[/itex] in some neighborhood of [itex]-b[/itex]. Then by choosing the constant [itex]C[/itex] appropriately, this would prove the claim. I have not checked to see if this works, but it sounds like a decent way to attack the problem.

Ooops, I ignored that it was nonzero only on [-b, b]. So the function is zero everywhere else.

To the OP, you likely have to do something with looking at the maximum value of the derivatve on [-b, b].

jgens said:
If [itex]f[/itex] is supported in [itex][-b,b][/itex], then certainly [itex]f^{(k)}(-b) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].
I feel a little bad about this, but I don't see why this is. Could you explain, please? Is it just because, since [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex] for [itex]x \leq -b[/itex], we must have [itex]f'(x) = 0[/itex] for [itex]x < -b[/itex], so by continuity of the derivative, [itex]f'(-b)[/itex] can't possibly be anything other than zero? (And then the same argument is repeated for the higher order derivatives.)

Last edited:
This can basically be done for any k >= 1. Let y = x + b. Then we get F(y) is zero outside of [0,2b].

We need to show F(y) <= Cy^k

Let g(y) = 0 if y=0
= f(y)/(x^k) if y =/=0

Note g is obviously continuous except possibly at y=0. However F is differentible at y=0 and zero to the left of 0. So all the derivatives of F at 0 are 0. Hence By L'hopitals rule lim y ->0 g(y) = 0. So g is continuous. Hence |g(y)| <= C for all y in [0,2b]. So |f(y)|/(x^k) <= C so
|f(y)| <= Cx^k for all y in [0,2b]. Assuming k is even we get that |f(y)| <= Cx^k for all x. If k is odd we can only get |f(y)| <= Cx^k for all positive x.

Related to Infinitely differentiable functions

1. What is an infinitely differentiable function?

An infinitely differentiable function is a mathematical function that has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. This means that the function can be differentiated an infinite number of times without approaching a non-differentiable point.

2. What is the difference between a differentiable function and an infinitely differentiable function?

A differentiable function is one that has a derivative at every point in its domain, while an infinitely differentiable function has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. In other words, an infinitely differentiable function is a more specialized type of differentiable function.

3. How can I determine if a function is infinitely differentiable?

A function is considered to be infinitely differentiable if it has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. To determine this, you can use the definition of differentiability and take the derivative of the function multiple times. If the resulting derivatives exist and are continuous, then the function is infinitely differentiable.

4. Why are infinitely differentiable functions important?

Infinitely differentiable functions are important in mathematics because they provide a more detailed description of a function's behavior. They are used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis, and are essential for solving many mathematical problems.

5. Can all functions be infinitely differentiable?

No, not all functions can be infinitely differentiable. For a function to be infinitely differentiable, it must have derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. Some functions, such as the absolute value function, have non-differentiable points and are not infinitely differentiable.