Infinity optics - position of tube lens

In summary, the objective lens forms an image at the focal point, but as you move the tube lens away from the focal point the magnification increases.
stephenx_86
Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a microscopy problem that has been puzzling me for a while.

I'm building a basic microscope from scratch using a 50x long working distance Nikon objective (LU Plan ELWD, wd = 10.1mm, NA = 0.55). The sample is illuminated from above using a white LED source. I am currently using a "Mounted Visible Achromatic Doublet" from ThorLabs (http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=AC254-150-A-ML) with a focal length of 150mm as a tube lens to focus the light onto a CCD.

As I understand it, if this were working correctly, I should get the image formed on the CCD at 150mm CCD-lens separation and this happens (Although I'm not certain if the CCD should be at the focal point or just beyond it). What confuses me is that as I vary the CCD-lens spacing I can still form a sharp image (by changing the focus of the objective). As the spacing decreases I get a larger image. However, looking at all the infinity optics pages I can find online it appears like I should get image inversion (as I pass from a real to virtual image) around the focal point, but I do not observe this. The image just gets bigger and smaller. At the maximum separation I can get with my equipment the image is still a long way off shrinking to a point.

Please could someone explain what is happening to the light as it passes out of the achromatic doublet lens. Also, is using an achromatic lens as a tube lens not appropriate ? From what I have observed, it does not appear to be behaving as expected.

Any light that could be shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I've not explained things clearly.

Thanks
Stephen

Science news on Phys.org
Hmm I find your description a little confusing. You seem to imply that because the focal length of the achromat is 150 mm then the image should be at 150 mm. This is not correct, you need to consider the output of the objective (which will in turn depend on the object-objective distance).

My suggestion is draw a simple ray diagram starting with the centre line and marginal ray. Newport have some decent introductory articles: http://www.newport.com/Optics-Fundamentals/604533/1033/content.aspx

stephenx_86 said:
<snip>
Please could someone explain what is happening to the light as it passes out of the achromatic doublet lens. Also, is using an achromatic lens as a tube lens not appropriate ? From what I have observed, it does not appear to be behaving as expected.

I agree, this is a confusing description. If the objective lens is infinity-corrected, the image is formed at infinity.

The tube lens then has an object distance of infinity, so the image is located at the rear focal plane- as you see. Now, as you make changes to the image distance of the tube lens by changing the tube lens/CCD spacing, you also need to make object distance changes for the objective lens (I don't think changing the tube lens-objective spacing will have any effect- although there may be a 'sweet spot' for aberration balancing). The magnification changes because that's the ratio of the tube lens image distance to the objective lens object distance.

there's nothing wrong with using an achromat for a tube lens- most likely that's what's used in my 'scope.

Thank you both for your replies, I now understand what is happening. It seems I had a fundamental misunderstanding regarding the objective lens - I thought the distance from the objective lens to the sample was always at the "working distance". What you have said now makes sense in terms of what I've seen, because when I moved the tube lens I had to refocus the objective. Those links about optics also look very handy.

Thanks
Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about infinity optics and the position of the tube lens in your microscope setup. I can understand why this issue has been puzzling you, as it can be complicated to understand the behavior of light in an optical system.

First of all, it is important to note that the position of the tube lens in an infinity optics system is not fixed. In fact, it can vary depending on the specific components and objectives being used. This is because infinity optics systems are designed to create parallel light beams, which means that the light rays coming from the objective are parallel to each other. This allows for easier manipulation and control of the light, as well as better image quality.

Now, with regards to your specific setup, it is possible that the mounted achromatic doublet lens you are using as a tube lens is not the ideal component for your system. Achromatic lenses are designed to minimize chromatic aberration, but they may not be the best choice for infinity optics systems. It is possible that this lens is causing some distortion or changes in the light rays, which could explain why you are not seeing the expected inversion of the image.

I would recommend trying a different tube lens, specifically one that is designed for infinity optics systems. This may help to improve the image quality and provide a clearer understanding of the behavior of light in your setup. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a microscopy expert or refer to the manual for your specific objective and tube lens to determine the optimal positioning for the tube lens in your system.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the confusion and provides a starting point for troubleshooting your microscope setup. Good luck with your experiments!

Best,

1. What is the purpose of a tube lens in infinity optics?

The tube lens is used to focus the collimated light from the objective lens onto the camera sensor or eyepiece. It ensures that the image formed by the objective lens is magnified and in focus.

2. How does the position of the tube lens affect the image quality in infinity optics?

The position of the tube lens is crucial in determining the magnification and resolution of the image. If the tube lens is not positioned correctly, it can result in aberrations and distortions in the final image.

3. Can the tube lens be adjusted in infinity optics?

Yes, the position of the tube lens can be adjusted to fine-tune the image quality. This is especially important when using different objectives with varying magnifications.

4. What is the ideal distance between the objective lens and the tube lens in infinity optics?

The ideal distance between the objective lens and the tube lens is the focal length of the tube lens. This ensures that the image formed by the objective lens is focused and magnified onto the camera sensor or eyepiece.

5. How does the numerical aperture of the objective lens affect the position of the tube lens in infinity optics?

The numerical aperture of the objective lens determines the working distance and the magnification of the image. Therefore, the position of the tube lens should be adjusted accordingly to achieve the desired magnification and resolution.