Infrared radiation from friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of how frictional forces cause infrared radiation at the atomic level. The participants mention that friction causes heat, which in turn causes infrared radiation, and that this can be seen in different levels of heat causing different types of IR. They also suggest studying how molecules and crystal lattices behave with temperature, as well as considering black body radiation. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that this topic can get complex and may require a conceptual model using light as a wave rather than a particle.
Strange design
Hello all,
I was driving down the road yesterday, and I realized that I don't really have a solid grasp on how frictional forces cause infrared radiation. Can anyone explain, or direct me to a resource that explains, how this happens at the atomic level?

I am thinking that the work done forcing the two surfaces together, against the EM forces, gives energy to the individual electrons, which move to a higher state, and then they release photons as they transition back to a lower state, but this is the oversimplified model I have in my head and is probably wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Friction causes heat.
Heat causes IR. Low heat, thermal IR. More heat near IR. More still, visible glowing.

Also, when friction causes sparks to fly - those sparks are material torn from the surface and raised to high temperatures.

Strange design said:
I am thinking that the work done forcing the two surfaces together, against the EM forces, gives energy to the individual electrons, which move to a higher state, and then they release photons as they transition back to a lower state, but this is the oversimplified model I have in my head and is probably wrong.

@.Scott gave you the answer. Heat is more than electrons changing energy states. You need to study how molecules and crystal lattices change behavior with temperature. The next step is how do solid bodies radiate as a function of temperature.

If you want to think it through one particle at a time, you'll have enough to keep your mind occupied for many many miles of driving. :rolleyes:

Ok, so should I rather consider the surface as a mass of oscillators already releasing IR, and then the friction increases the amplitude of the oscillations?

I would start with black body radiation. That is what is at the root. The article offers several models for what is happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

It can get very complex.

Human-Infrared.jpg

Thanks Anorlunda. I think where I am going wrong is that I am attempting to develop a conceptual model for these friction interactions where I am regarding light as a particle, but these interactions may only be able to be modeled with light regarded as a wave.

1. What is infrared radiation from friction?

Infrared radiation from friction is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when two surfaces rub against each other, creating heat through friction. This heat causes the molecules in the materials to vibrate, producing infrared radiation that can be detected by special instruments.

2. How is infrared radiation from friction different from other types of radiation?

Infrared radiation from friction is different from other types of radiation such as visible light or ultraviolet light because it has longer wavelengths and lower frequencies. This means it has less energy and is not visible to the human eye, but can be felt as heat.

3. What are some examples of sources that emit infrared radiation from friction?

Examples of sources that emit infrared radiation from friction include rubbing your hands together, using a hand warmer, or using a machine with moving parts such as a car engine or a treadmill.

4. How is infrared radiation from friction used in scientific research?

Infrared radiation from friction is used in scientific research to study the properties of materials, such as their thermal conductivity and surface roughness. It can also be used to measure the amount of friction between two surfaces, which is important in fields such as engineering and materials science.

5. What are some potential applications of infrared radiation from friction?

Infrared radiation from friction has a wide range of potential applications, including thermal imaging cameras, temperature sensors, and industrial processes that require precise control of friction and heat. It is also used in medical treatments such as infrared therapy, which uses heat from infrared radiation to relieve pain and promote healing.