Inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation

In summary, the conversation revolves around manipulating Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation for light. The speakers discuss the signs and constants involved and the potential implications of the law of continuity for free charge. They also mention different resources and equations for deriving the wave equation in conductors and moving media.
Peeter
I was playing around with some manipulations of maxwell's equations and seeing if I could work out the wave equation for light. I get:

[tex]
(\nabla^2 -{\partial_{ct}}^2) \mathbf{B} = -\mu_0 \nabla \times \mathbf{J}
[/tex]

[tex]
(\nabla^2 -{\partial_{ct}}^2) \mathbf{E} = \nabla \rho/\epsilon_0 + \mu_0 \partial_t \mathbf{J}
[/tex]

I had plenty of opportunities to mix up signs (and added back in some of the constants at the end) so I was wondering if anybody can confirm for me whether I got this (constants and signs on the RHS) correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get about the same thing. There's a law of continuity for free charge:

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}+ \nabla\bullet J = 0[/tex],

which may be relatable to our extra terms. I have a book at home, "electrodynamics of moving media", I'll see if there's anything fundamentally interesting on this.

I tried a second way after posting this and got the same answer. However, both ways required that I use that condition, or else there'd be more terms.

A side note. Is this conservation really considered a separate law? It seemed to me that it's implied by Maxwell's equations. This can be seen for example by taking gradients of the bivector form of maxwell's equation:

[tex]
\nabla^2 F = \nabla J
[/tex]

Since the LHS is a bivector it means that the scalar parts of the RHS is a bivector. Thus:

[tex]
0 = \nabla \cdot J = \sum \partial_{\mu} J^{\mu} = \partial_t \rho + \sum \partial_i J^i
[/tex]

Ok, I have some more information:

First off, the (free) charge density and (free) current are zero in dielectrics at rest, so they go away automatically. Landau & Lifgarbagez, in "Electrodynamics of COntinuous Media" (volume 8), has a little bit about conductors, where J is proportional to E in the limit of static fields. But they don't try and derive a wave equation in a conductor, although I'm sure someone has.

When a dielectric moves, one way to account for the movement is to allow the current to appear, because dipoles are crossing boundaries. Penfield and Haus, "Electrodynamics of Moving Media" covers this extensively, but they don't ever try and derive a wave equation. I suspect the reason is that E and D and B and H are not longer simply related. There are many "Maxwell Equations" for moving media, here's an example (the Chu formulation):

[tex]\nabla\timesE=-\mu_{0}\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}-\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\mu_{0}M)-\nabla\times(\mu_{0}M\times v)[/tex]

[tex]\nabla\timesH=\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}+\nabla\times(P\times v)+ J[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_{0}\nabla\bullet E = -\nabla\bullet P + \rho[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{0}\nabla\bullet H = -\nabla\bullet (\mu_{0}M)[/tex]

From this, I suppose one could try and develop a wave equation for E or B, but it's not clear what the result would look like.

Related to Inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation

1. What is an inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation?

An inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a medium that is not uniform. This means that the properties of the medium such as its density, refractive index, and conductivity are not constant, leading to variations in the behavior of the electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation different from the homogeneous version?

The inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation takes into account the variations in the properties of the medium, whereas the homogeneous version assumes that the medium is uniform. This makes the inhomogenous equation more complex and allows for a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios.

3. What are some applications of the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation?

The inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic waves in non-uniform media, such as in the design of optical fibers, metamaterials, and waveguides. It is also used in fields such as telecommunications, radar technology, and medical imaging.

4. How is the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation derived?

The inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. By considering the variations in the properties of the medium, the equations can be modified to account for the inhomogeneity, resulting in the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation.

5. What are the limitations of the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation?

One of the main limitations of the inhomogenous electrodynamics wave equation is that it assumes the medium is linear, meaning that the properties of the medium do not change as a result of the electromagnetic waves passing through it. In reality, the properties of the medium can be affected by the presence of electromagnetic waves, which can lead to non-linear behavior. Additionally, the equation may not accurately represent extremely complex or highly non-uniform media.