Initial Objects in the Category Ring

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Initial Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of a ring homomorphism based on the requirement that phi(1) = 1_R and the preservation of addition. It is explained that this can be shown through induction and the use of a Z-homomorphism. The equality m(n1_R) = (m1_R) * (n 1_R) is shown to follow from the distributivity axiom.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I have a question related to Aluffi's description of initial objects in the category ring ... ...

In Chapter III, Section 2. on the category ring, we read the following:View attachment 4480
View attachment 4481QUESTION 1

In the above text, we read the following:

" ... ... This ring homomorphism is unique, since it is determined by the requirement that \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\) and by the fact that \(\displaystyle \phi\) preserves addition ... ... "Can someone please explain to me (precisely, rigorously and formally) why the requirement that \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\) and the fact that \(\displaystyle \phi\) preserves addition imply that ring homomorphism is unique?

(Intuitively the above seems true ... but how do you show this exactly and precisely ... wonder if I am overthinking this matter ... )QUESTION 2

" ... ... But \(\displaystyle \phi\) is in fact a ring homomorphism, since \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\), and

\(\displaystyle \phi (mn) = (mn) 1_R = m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R) = \phi (m) \cdot \phi (n)
\)

where the equality \(\displaystyle m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R)\) holds by the distributivity axiom ... ... "Can someone explain how the equality \(\displaystyle m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R)\) follows from the distributivity axiom

Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
QUESTION 1

" ... ... This ring homomorphism is unique, since it is determined by the requirement that \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\) and by the fact that \(\displaystyle \phi\) preserves addition ... ... "Can someone please explain to me (precisely, rigorously and formally) why the requirement that \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\) and the fact that \(\displaystyle \phi\) preserves addition imply that ring homomorphism is unique?

(Intuitively the above seems true ... but how do you show this exactly and precisely ... wonder if I am overthinking this matter ... )

Let $f : \Bbb Z \to R$ be a ring homomoprhism. Define $a := f(1)$. Since $f$ is a $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism, $f(n) = f(n\cdot 1) = nf(1) = na$ for all $n\in \Bbb Z$. Choosing $a = 1_R$ forces $f(n) = \phi(n)$ for all $n \in \Bbb Z$; due to this choice, $f = \phi$.
QUESTION 2

" ... ... But \(\displaystyle \phi\) is in fact a ring homomorphism, since \(\displaystyle \phi (1) = 1_R\), and

\(\displaystyle \phi (mn) = (mn) 1_R = m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R) = \phi (m) \cdot \phi (n)
\)

where the equality \(\displaystyle m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R)\) holds by the distributivity axiom ... ... "Can someone explain how the equality \(\displaystyle m(n1_R) = (m1_R) \cdot (n 1_R)\) follows from the distributivity axiom

They key here is to use induction on $m$ or $n$. ;)

Euge said:
Let $f : \Bbb Z \to R$ be a ring homomoprhism. Define $a := f(1)$. Since $f$ is a $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism, $f(n) = f(n\cdot 1) = nf(1) = na$ for all $n\in \Bbb Z$. Choosing $a = 1_R$ forces $f(n) = \phi(n)$ for all $n \in \Bbb Z$; due to this choice, $f = \phi$.

Let me just note that if you're not allowed to assume that a ring homomorphism is a $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism, then use induction to show that $f(n) = nf(1)$ for all $n\in \Bbb Z$.

Euge said:
Let $f : \Bbb Z \to R$ be a ring homomoprhism. Define $a := f(1)$. Since $f$ is a $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism, $f(n) = f(n\cdot 1) = nf(1) = na$ for all $n\in \Bbb Z$. Choosing $a = 1_R$ forces $f(n) = \phi(n)$ for all $n \in \Bbb Z$; due to this choice, $f = \phi$.They key here is to use induction on $m$ or $n$. ;)
Thanks for the help Euge ...

Two clarifications ...

1. What is a $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism?

2. how do we justify the statement \(\displaystyle f(n\cdot 1) = nf(1)\)?

Hope you can help further ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

A $\Bbb Z$-homomorphism is a $\Bbb Z$-module homomorphism. I already gave the answer to 2. -- take a look back at my last post. [emoji2]

1. What is an initial object in the category of rings?

An initial object in the category of rings is a ring, denoted by 0, that is the starting point for all other rings in the category. This means that every other ring in the category has a unique homomorphism (ring morphism) from the initial object to itself.

2. How is an initial object different from a zero ring?

An initial object is not the same as a zero ring, although they may have similar properties. A zero ring is a ring with only one element, 0, and all operations result in 0. An initial object, on the other hand, is a fully functioning ring that serves as the starting point for all other rings in the category.

3. Can there be more than one initial object in the category of rings?

No, there can only be one initial object in the category of rings. This is because an initial object is unique and serves as the starting point for all other objects in the category. If there were more than one initial object, it would not be clear which one is the "true" starting point.

4. How is an initial object related to other objects in the category of rings?

An initial object is related to other objects in the category of rings through unique homomorphisms. Every other ring in the category has a unique homomorphism from the initial object to itself, making it the starting point for all other rings and their relationships.

5. Why is an initial object important in the category of rings?

An initial object is important in the category of rings because it provides a starting point for understanding and defining all other rings in the category. It also helps to establish relationships and connections between different rings, making it a crucial concept in the study of rings and algebraic structures.