Inner Product: Problem on Differentiability of f(x) = x

In summary, Ken is struggling with a problem in Spivack's Calculus on Manifolds involving the inner product. He is not sure how to reach a conclusion from considering the inner product, but he believes that |f| is not differentiable for f(x)=x. He is having trouble seeing how to reach this conclusion from consideration of the inner product and is unsure how to apply the algebra of exponents correctly to get F'=x/|x| which is not a unique linear function.
krcmd1
I am working my lonely way through Spivack's "Calculus on Manifolds." (not a registered student anywhere, alas).

On p. 23 is a set of problems involving the inner product. I believe I've got it up to d), which asks for a function f:R->R s.t. f is differentiable but |f| is not differentiable.

I believe that |f| is not differentiable for f(x)=x. (if that's wrong I have to start the book all over).

I'm having trouble seeing how to reach this conclusion from consideration of the inner product. |f|**2 = <f,f>, and for g= <f,f>, g' = <x,1> + <1,x>,
F = g**(1/2) = |f|,

and if this is ok so far, I would expect something to be wrong with the next calculation:

F' =(1/2)g**(-1/2)(g') = (1/2)(x**2)**(-1/2) (2x) = 1.

Please help me understand what I've done wrong here. thanks

Ken C

Physics news on Phys.org
krcmd1 said:
I am working my lonely way through Spivack's "Calculus on Manifolds." (not a registered student anywhere, alas).

On p. 23 is a set of problems involving the inner product. I believe I've got it up to d), which asks for a function f:R->R s.t. f is differentiable but |f| is not differentiable.

I believe that |f| is not differentiable for f(x)=x. (if that's wrong I have to start the book all over).

I'm having trouble seeing how to reach this conclusion from consideration of the inner product. |f|**2 = <f,f>, and for g= <f,f>, g' = <x,1> + <1,x>,
F = g**(1/2) = |f|,

and if this is ok so far, I would expect something to be wrong with the next calculation:

F' =(1/2)g**(-1/2)(g') = (1/2)(x**2)**(-1/2) (2x) = 1.

Please help me understand what I've done wrong here. thanks

Ken C
You are correct that f(x)= x is such that |f|= |x| is not differentiable at x= 0.

You define g= <f, f>= <x, x>. Now x, here, is a vector not a number so g'= <x, 1>+ <1, x> is not right. If you are talking about 2 dimensions, then f= <x, y>, g= x2+ y2 so g'= 2x+ 2y a number, not a vector. You seem to be confusing vector values with numerical values.

If [itex]f(\vec{x})= <x, y>[/itex], then [itex]|f(\vec{x})|= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Also, the derivative of a real function of two variables is basically the gradient vector (strictly speaking, it is the linear transformation, L(v), that corresponds to taking the dot product of the gradient vector with the vector v). Here that is
[tex]f'(\vec{x})= \nabla f(x,y)= (x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}<x, y>= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}<x, y>[/tex]
and, because of that fraction, that does not exist at (0,0).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a square: ² :wink:)
krcmd1 said:
(1/2)(x**2)**(-1/2) (2x) = 1.

No, 2x/2√(x²) = x/|x| ≠ 1. :wink:

thank you both. If I may, follow up questions:

what rules forbid the usual algebra of exponentials (1/2)(x**2)**(-1/2)(2x) = x(x**2)**(-1/2) = x * x**[2*(-1/2] = x ** (1+ -1) ?

Is this my apparent confusion between one D vector and a number?

krcmd1 said:
what rules forbid …

The rule that xm/n is not uniquely defined …

for any integer n, it has n different values. :smile:

Are you asking why isn't [tex] \sqrt{x^2} = x [/tex] but instead |x|?

If that's the case note that [tex] \sqrt{blah} \geq 0 [/tex] but is x always greater than or equal to zero?

Thank you! So I can't in fact multiply exponents like (x**2)**(1/2) = x without knowing in advance that x=>0. It has been many years since I took algebra.

OK, then, it seems like my initial application of the inner product to showing that |x| is not differentiable is OK, until I misused the algebra of exponents, which, correctly applied, yields F' = x/|x| which is not a unique linear function.

Related to Inner Product: Problem on Differentiability of f(x) = x

1. What is an inner product in mathematics?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar. It is a generalization of the dot product and is defined as the sum of the products of corresponding elements of the two vectors.

2. How is the inner product used in the problem of differentiability?

The inner product is used to define a metric, which is a way to measure distances and angles between vectors. In the problem of differentiability, the inner product is used to determine if a function is differentiable at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of the differentiability of f(x) = x?

The differentiability of a function at a point means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at that point. In the case of f(x) = x, it means that the function has a constant slope of 1 at every point and is therefore a straight line.

4. How is the differentiability of f(x) = x related to continuity?

If a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. However, the converse is not always true. A function can be continuous at a point but not differentiable.

5. What are the conditions for a function to be differentiable at a point?

A function must be continuous at the point and have a well-defined tangent line at that point. This means that the left and right limits of the function must exist and be equal, and the derivative of the function at that point must also exist.