Integrability along a Hilbert space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integrating over an incomplete, infinite dimensional Hilbert-like space. The main focus is on whether a measure can be defined for integrating over closed subsets of such a space, and how to distinguish between gaps that defy integrability and isolated points that can be integrated over. The conversation also includes a discussion on the definition of "continuous" and "domain space", as well as the role of measurability in integration. The suggestion is made to consult resources such as the book "Infinite Dimensional Analysis" by Aliprantis and Border, as well as "Real and Functional Analysis" by Lang.
LieToMe
Suppose we have an infinite dimensional Hilbert-like space but that is incomplete, such as if a subspace isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}## had countably many discontinuities and we extended it to an isomorphism of ##\mathbb{R}^{\infty}##. Is there a measure of integrating along any closed subset of such a space? How does one distinguish between when the gaps it may have defies integrability versus when they resemble isolated points that can be integrated over with respect to the topology of the space?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LieToMe said:
such as if a subspace isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}## had countably many discontinuities

What does it mean for a subspace to be "continuous"? - or not continuous ? Are you using "continuous" to mean "closed"?

Stephen Tashi said:
What does it mean for a subspace to be "continuous"? - or not continuous ? Are you using "continuous" to mean "closed"?
I'm thinking of a more open interpretation where at every point in the domain space, there is an open ball in the inverse image of the codomain that contains that limit point.

What is a "domain space"? The terms "domain" and "co-domain" apply to a function. The definition of "subspace" and "function" are different.

Stephen Tashi said:
What is a "domain space"? The terms "domain" and "co-domain" apply to a function. The definition of "subspace" and "function" are different.
Right but I'm talking about integrating a function over a Hilbert space.

Last edited:
LieToMe said:
Right but I'm talking about integrating a function over a Hilbert space.

You didn't use the term "function" in your original post, but you did mention "subspace". I suggest you state your question using standard terminology. The domain of a function can be a subset of a Hilbert Space that is not a subspace of that Hilbert Space.

Likes Delta2
Stephen Tashi said:
You didn't use the term "function" in your original post, but you did mention "subspace". I suggest you state your question using standard terminology. The domain of a function can be a subset of a Hilbert Space that is not a subspace of that Hilbert Space.
I said "along" a subset of such a space, which is pretty conventional. What else are you going to integrate if not a function over that space?

The domain issue you pointed it is the entire point of the post. If there are countably many points missing from any finite dimensional subspace that is extended to space otherwise isomorphic to infinite extension of a Euclidean space, then is the space still guaranteed to be integrable over any closed subset?
I suspect one needs to impose a restriction of measurability which reduces the structure to countably many dimensions, but this is also sensical for extending Euclidean space.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2
LieToMe said:
I said "along" a subset of such a space, which is pretty conventional. What else are you going to integrate if not a function over that space?
You say it yourself: over a subset not along! And of course is your question even with "over" far too broad to be answered in a meaningful way. What do we know about the domain and the function? Next, a Hilbert space is complete by definition, incomplete inner product spaces are called pre-Hilbert space. Anyway, the key is measure theory. You need a measurable subset to perform an integration, the entire space is not.

fresh_42 said:
be answered in a meaningful way
But I'm looking precisely for a broad answer to cover bases to research. Does a direct product of measurable Euclidean spaces to a Hilbert-like space preserve measurability? Maybe, maybe not. If one has only countably many dimensions, seems like there is a good chance. I imagine in uncountable cases there could be a subset that is not measurable, but in such a case, what additional constraints are needed?

LieToMe said:
But I'm looking precisely for a broad answer to cover bases to research. Does a direct product of measurable Euclidean spaces to a Hilbert-like space preserve measurability?
See e.g. Aliprantis and Border, Infinite Dimensional Analysis, p. 520 in the third edition, in the section on the Kolmogorov Extension Theorem. (Keyword: infinite product ##\sigma##-algebra. In the definition, note the analogy with the general definition of the product topology. Also, note that measurability as such does not require the existence of a measure.)
LieToMe said:
If one has only countably many dimensions, seems like there is a good chance. I imagine in uncountable cases there could be a subset that is not measurable, but in such a case, what additional constraints are needed?
This is puzzling. Already for finite products there may be non-measurable subsets. Do you mean something more specific?

Even ##\mathbb{R}## with the standard Borel algebra has subsets that are nog Borel-measurable (or even Lebesgue-measurable, cfr axiom of choice).

Anyway, the book "Real and functional analysis" by Lang has a very good section on the integral of functions with values in a Banach space. Worth checking out imo.

Math_QED said:
Anyway, the book "Real and functional analysis" by Lang has a very good section on the integral of functions with values in a Banach space.
It is my impression that the questions in the OP were more about the domain side than about the co-domain side.

What I mean is that questions of measurability and integration of functions from subsets of ##\mathbb{R}## into a Banach space may be quite different from the same questions for functions from a Banach space into ##\mathbb{R}##, although there are also relations.

(I am aware that you yourself know that.)

Likes Delta2 and member 587159
s
S.G. Janssens said:
It is my impression that the questions in the OP were more about the domain side than about the co-domain side.

What I mean is that questions of measurability and integration of functions from subsets of ##\mathbb{R}## into a Banach space may be quite different from the same questions for functions from a Banach space into ##\mathbb{R}##, although there are also relations.

(I am aware that you yourself know that.)

Thanks for the clarification. I missed that.

I must admit that it is not entirely clear to me what the OP is asking. All I can add at the moment is that every locally compact Hausdorff group (for example, the additive structure of a normed vector space) admits a canonical Borel ##\sigma##-algebra on which we can define a unique left (right) translation-invariant regular Borel measure (left Haar measure).

Thus in the case of the OP, every normed space has a canonical choice of ##\sigma##-algebra and measure. In particular, completeness is not relevant here. What more does one want?

Math_QED said:
s

Thanks for the clarification. I missed that.

I must admit that it is not entirely clear to me what the OP is asking. All I can add at the moment is that every locally compact Hausdorff group (for example, the additive structure of a normed vector space) admits a canonical Borel ##\sigma##-algebra on which we can define a unique left (right) translation-invariant regular Borel measure (left Haar measure).

Thus in the case of the OP, every normed space has a canonical choice of ##\sigma##-algebra and measure. In particular, completeness is not relevant here. What more does one want?
In the infinite dimensional case, you don't have a locally compact space. There are no translation invariant measures. You have to settle for something else.

The original question is not clear at all. It is way too broad. Give us some motivation and more specifics.

martinbn said:
In the infinite dimensional case, you don't have a locally compact space. There are no translation invariant measures. You have to settle for something else.

The original question is not clear at all. It is way too broad. Give us some motivation and more specifics.

Yes, of course. I really should get some sleep. Thanks for the correction.

Likes martinbn
All I can think of is that product of uncountable copies of the Reals is not metrizable. For Riemann integration you can allow even uncountable discontinuities as long as the measure of the set is 0.

Related to Integrability along a Hilbert space?

1. What is integrability along a Hilbert space?

Integrability along a Hilbert space refers to the property of a function or operator to have a well-defined integral over the entire Hilbert space. This means that the function or operator can be integrated over any subset of the Hilbert space and the result will be the same.

2. How is integrability along a Hilbert space different from integrability in other spaces?

The main difference is that a Hilbert space is a complete inner product space, meaning it satisfies certain properties such as completeness and orthogonality. This allows for a more rigorous definition of integrability and leads to different techniques for calculating integrals.

3. What is the importance of integrability along a Hilbert space?

Integrability along a Hilbert space is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in functional analysis and quantum mechanics. It allows for the study of functions and operators in a more general and abstract setting, leading to deeper insights and applications.

4. How is integrability along a Hilbert space related to the concept of convergence?

Integrability along a Hilbert space is closely related to the concept of convergence, as it requires the function or operator to be well-behaved and have a limit as the size of the subset of the Hilbert space approaches infinity. This ensures that the integral is well-defined and consistent.

5. What are some examples of functions or operators that are integrable along a Hilbert space?

Some common examples include continuous functions, differentiable functions, and square-integrable functions. Operators such as the identity operator and the Laplace operator are also integrable along a Hilbert space. However, there are many more examples and the specific choice depends on the context and application.