Integral Challenge #1: Prove 0 ≤ a < π/2

In summary, the importance of proving 0 ≤ a < π/2 in the integral challenge lies in its role as a fundamental step in comprehending trigonometric functions and their connection to the unit circle. It can be proven using various methods and is applicable to other angles as well. This inequality has practical applications in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, and can be observed in real-life situations such as projectile motion and celestial observations.
polygamma
Show that for $ \displaystyle 0 \le a < \frac{\pi}{2}$,

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x \cos a} \cos(x \sin a) \cos (bx) \ dx = \frac{(b^{2}+1) \cos a}{b^{4}+2b^{2} \cos (2a) + 1 }$$When I post integral challenge problems in the future, I'll just number them.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Random Variable said:
Show that for $ \displaystyle 0 \le a < \frac{\pi}{2}$,

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x \cos a} \cos(x \sin a) \cos (bx) \ dx = \frac{(b^{2}+1) \cos a}{b^{4}+2b^{2} \cos (2a) + 1 }$$When I post integral challenge problems in the future, I'll just number them.

\begin{align}
\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x \cos a} \cos(x \sin a) \cos (bx) \ dx &= \mathrm{Re}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x \cos a} e^{ix \sin a } \cos (bx) \ dx\\ &= \mathrm{Re}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x e^{-ia}} \cos (bx) \ dx \\& = \mathrm{Re}\frac {e^{-ia}}{e^{-2ia}+b^2}\\&= \mathrm{Re}\frac{\cos(a)-i\sin(a)}{\cos(2a)-i\sin(2a)+b^2}\\&= \mathrm{Re}\frac{(\cos(a)-i\sin(a))(\cos(2a)+b^2+i\sin(2a))}{(\cos(2a)+b^2)^2+\sin^2(2a)}\\&= \frac{\cos(2a)\cos(a)+\cos(a)b^2+\sin(2a)\sin(a)}{b^4+2b^2 \cos(2a)+1}\\&=\frac{(1+b^2)\cos(a)}{b^4+2b^2 \cos(2a)+1}
\end{align}

The convergence is justified by the Laplace transform. Since \(\displaystyle |\cos(bx)| \leq 1\) so it is of an exponential order and we can take \(\displaystyle |\cos(bx)| \leq e^{0\, x}\) so the value of \(\displaystyle c=0\). Hence the integral converges to the value for \(\displaystyle \mathrm{Re}(e^{ia})>0\) or \(\displaystyle \cos(a)>0\) which clearly satisfy \(\displaystyle 0 \leq a < \frac{\pi}{2}\)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Integral Challenge #1: Prove 0 ≤ a < π/2

1. What is the importance of proving 0 ≤ a < π/2 in the integral challenge?

The integral challenge requires participants to prove this inequality as it is a crucial step in understanding the properties of trigonometric functions and their relationship to the unit circle. It also serves as a foundation for further mathematical concepts, such as integration and calculus.

2. How does one go about proving 0 ≤ a < π/2 in the integral challenge?

The proof can be achieved through various methods, such as using geometric or algebraic properties, trigonometric identities, and limits. It is essential to have a strong understanding of basic trigonometry and calculus principles to successfully prove this inequality.

3. Can this inequality be generalized to other angles?

Yes, the inequality can be generalized to other angles by adjusting the upper and lower limits accordingly. For example, the inequality 0 ≤ a < 2π would encompass the entire unit circle, while 0 ≤ a < π would cover the first and second quadrants.

4. What are the practical applications of proving 0 ≤ a < π/2?

This inequality has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to determine the values of trigonometric functions, solve problems involving circular motion and oscillations, and model periodic phenomena in real-world situations.

5. Are there any real-life examples that demonstrate this inequality?

Yes, many real-life examples can be used to illustrate this inequality. For instance, the maximum height a projectile can reach before falling back to the ground is always less than π/2 radians. Also, the angle of elevation of the sun, moon, and stars from the horizon is always less than π/2 radians.