Integral of trigonometric function

In summary, we have an integral to solve that simplifies to $\int_{}^{} 1 \,dx + \int_{}^{} sin(2x) \,dx$. Using u-substitution, we find that the anti-derivative of $sin(2x)$ is $-\frac{1}{2}cos(2x)$. However, the solution given shows $sin^2x$ as the anti-derivative. While these two functions differ by only a constant, they are both valid anti-derivatives of the given function. Therefore, the solution is correct.
tmt1
I have this integral to solve.

$$\int_{}^{} (sinx + cos x)^2 \,dx$$

I first start by simplifying the expression:

$$\int_{}^{} sin^2x + 2sinxcosx + cos^2x \,dx$$

$$2sinxcosx$$ is $$sin2x$$ (a trigonometric identity) and $$ sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 $$ a trigonometric identity.

So, after simplifying, I get:

$$\int_{}^{} 1 \,dx + \int_{}^{} sin(2x) \,dx$$

$\int_{}^{} 1 \,dx$ is equal to $x$

now I have

$$ \int_{}^{} sin(2x) \,dx$$

Using, u-substitution, I can set $u = 2x$ and $du = 2dx$ and $dx = du/2$

so

$$ \frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} sin(u) \,du$$

which would be

$$ - \frac{1}{2} cos(u) $$

And I can substitute in the value of u, so

$$ - \frac{1}{2} cos(2x) $$

so, if I get the result of the first integral, I get

$$ x - \frac{1}{2} cos2x + C$$

However, the answer is showing:

$$ x + sin^2x + C$$.

Is $sin^2x$ equal to $\frac{1}{2} cos2x$ or did I calculate this incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
First let me say a word about using pre-defined function in $\LaTeX$. Certain oft-used functions, such as the trigonometric functions, and known to the script we use (MathJax), and so if you preced them with a backslash, they will appear in normal text, rather than italicized and thereby differentiating them from a string of variables. For example:

\sin(x)

produces:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\)

This is easier to read. Okay, having said that, what's going here is that:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\) and \(\displaystyle \sin^2(x)\)

differ by only a constant, and when two functions differ by only a constant, then they can both be the legitimate anti-derivative of a given function.

We observe that:

\(\displaystyle \cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2(x)\implies \sin^2(x)-\left(-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\right)=\frac{1}{2}\)

We see the difference between those terms is simply a constant. And therefore, we may conlcude that both anti-derivatives are valid. Let's look at it this way...suppose we say an indefinite integral has two valid anti-derivatives:

\(\displaystyle I=f(x)+C_1\)

\(\displaystyle I=g(x)+C_2\)

Now, let's subtract the latter from the former:

\(\displaystyle 0=(f(x)-g(x))+(C_1-C_2)\)

If we find then that $f(x)-g(x)$ is a constant, which we'll call $C_3$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 0=C_3+(C_1-C_2)\implies C_1=C_2-C_3,\,C_2=C_1+C_3\)

We wind up with our arbitrary constant still being simply arbitrary constants. :)

1. What is the definition of the integral of a trigonometric function?

The integral of a trigonometric function is a mathematical operation that gives the area under the curve of the function between two points on the x-axis. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is also known as the antiderivative of the function.

2. How is the integral of a trigonometric function calculated?

The integral of a trigonometric function is calculated using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These techniques help to simplify the function and solve for the antiderivative.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals of trigonometric functions?

A definite integral of a trigonometric function has specific limits of integration, which means that it gives a numerical value. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a family of functions that differ by a constant.

4. Can the integral of a trigonometric function be negative?

Yes, the integral of a trigonometric function can be negative. This happens when the curve of the function dips below the x-axis, resulting in a negative area under the curve.

5. How is the integral of a trigonometric function used in real-life applications?

The integral of a trigonometric function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and work in real-life scenarios. For example, when finding the area under a velocity-time graph, we use the integral of the acceleration function.