Integrals and potential energy

In summary, I don't think the equation accurately describes the potential energy gained or lost by an object in motion.
Praestrigiator
Does the equation
http://m.imgur.com/2KAADas
Accurately describe the potential energy gained by an object falling by 100,000 units?
I asked my physics teacher and he said he didn't know enough about integrals to answer it.
I asked my math teacher and she just asked "Are you trying to find the area under that curve?" and I'm not thinking about it graphically so I honestly have no idea what the 'curve' she's talking about is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe m1 should be mass of the earth(or a planet) and m2 should be mass of the object and there should be a '-' sign before the integral.

Praestrigiator said:
Equation didn't link properly
Here it is
http://m.imgur.com/2KAADas
As cnh1995 indicated, it describes the increase in potential energy of an object that is moved r to (r +100000), or the decrease in potential energy of an object moved from (r + 100000) to r.

Chestermiller said:
As cnh1995 indicated, it describes the increase in potential energy of an object that is moved r to (r +100000), or the decrease in potential energy of an object moved from (r + 100000) to r.
You two are right, I messed up my wording.
It is indeed, the Potential energy that would be gained by moving from r to (r+100,000)
or the Kinetic energy gained (Potential energy lost) by falling in the opposite direction

cnh1995 said:
I believe m1 should be mass of the earth(or a planet) and m2 should be mass of the object and there should be a '-' sign before the integral.
Yeah, that's what M1 and M2 mean here, but other than that and how I bungled the wording, it is correct?

Yes that's right. It is disappointing that we have come to a situation where someone has the job of teaching physics when they don't understand the basic tools you need to do physics, and someone has the job of teaching mathematics when they don't seem to be able to apply mathematical tools to elementary problems in mechanics.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is an integral in terms of potential energy?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the total amount of potential energy within a system. It is typically used to calculate the work done by a conservative force, such as gravity, in moving an object from one position to another.

2. How is potential energy related to integrals?

Potential energy is the energy stored within a system due to its position or configuration. Integrals are used to calculate the total amount of potential energy within a system by considering the work done by conservative forces in moving objects within the system.

3. What are some examples of systems where integrals and potential energy are important?

Integrals and potential energy are important in a variety of systems, including pendulums, springs, and electric fields. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems.

4. How are integrals and potential energy used in real-world applications?

Integrals and potential energy are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the energy required to lift an object to a certain height, determining the stability of structures, and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits. They are also important in fields such as astrophysics, where they are used to study the gravitational potential energy of celestial bodies.

5. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are closely related. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In many systems, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.