Integrals at infinity/ factorials problem

In summary: Wow that was kinda simple , i def need more practice manipulating factorials , thanks for the help man.
Samme013
View attachment 3440
Need help on exercise 2 from the linked image , left first in so you guys could see the Γ(χ) function any help is appreciated , thanks in advance!

Attachments

• zCNu2lE.png
    zCNu2lE.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 80
Physics news on Phys.org
2.(a) Apply the substitution $t=u^2$ for $\Gamma(x)$.
2.(b) Can you show where you're stuck?

Siron said:
2.(a) Apply the substitution $t=u^2$ for $\Gamma(x)$.
2.(b) Can you show where you're stuck?

Ok i did a and n b i proved it for n=0 assumed for n=k and used the fact that
Γ(x+1)=xΓ(χ) when calculating Γ(χ+1+ 1/2) but could not find a way το prove that it is equal with what one gets just by plugging n=k+1 in the statement that we want to prove

Samme013 said:
Ok i did a and n b i proved it for n=0 assumed for n=k and used the fact that
Γ(x+1)=xΓ(χ) when calculating Γ(χ+1+ 1/2) but could not find a way το prove that it is equal with what one gets just by plugging n=k+1 in the statement that we want to prove

Use 1(b) to write

\(\displaystyle \Gamma\Bigl((k + 1) + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) = \Gamma\left(\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) + 1\right) = \Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) \Gamma\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr),\)

and then use the induction hypothesis

\(\displaystyle \Gamma\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) = \frac{(2k)!}{4^k k!}\sqrt{\pi}.\)

Euge said:
Use 1(b) to write

\(\displaystyle \Gamma\Bigl((k + 1) + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) = \Gamma\left(\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) + 1\right) = \Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) \Gamma\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr),\)

and then use the induction hypothesis

\(\displaystyle \Gamma\Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr) = \frac{(2k)!}{4^k k!}\sqrt{\pi}.\)

Yes that is as far as i go but how is that equal to the statement for n=k+1

Samme013 said:
Yes that is as far as i go but how is that equal to the statement for n=k+1

I gave you a hint to solve the problem. You now have to show

\(\displaystyle \Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr)\frac{(2k)!}{4^k k!}\sqrt{\pi} = \frac{(2k+2)!}{4^{k+1} (k+1)!}\sqrt{\pi}.\)

To do so, write $k + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{2k + 1}{2}$ and use the identity

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} = \frac{2k + 2}{4(k + 1)}.\)

Euge said:
I gave you a hint to solve the problem. You now have to show

\(\displaystyle \Bigl(k + \frac{1}{2}\Bigr)\frac{(2k)!}{4^k k!}\sqrt{\pi} = \frac{(2k+2)!}{4^{k+1} (k+1)!}\sqrt{\pi}.\)

To do so, write $k + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{2k + 1}{2}$ and use the identity

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} = \frac{2k + 2}{4(k + 1)}.\)

Wow that was kinda simple , i def need more practice manipulating factorials , thanks for the help man.

1. What are integrals at infinity?

Integrals at infinity are a type of mathematical calculation that involves finding the area under a curve as the limits of integration approach infinity. This is often used in calculus and can be used to solve various real-world problems.

2. What is the significance of integrals at infinity?

Integrals at infinity have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to determine the total area or volume of a region, calculate the distance traveled by an object, and find the average value of a function over an infinite interval.

3. How do you solve integrals at infinity?

To solve integrals at infinity, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method based on the complexity of the integral and the given function.

4. What are factorials?

Factorials are a mathematical operation denoted by an exclamation mark (!) and are used to calculate the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

5. How are integrals at infinity and factorials related?

Integrals at infinity and factorials are related through the gamma function, which is defined as the integral of x^(n-1)e^(-x) from 0 to infinity. This function is closely related to factorials and is often used to extend the concept of factorials to non-integer values.