Integrals over chained functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential error or misunderstanding regarding the time dependence of certain terms in a concatenated function in Ashcroft's and Mermin's Solid State Physics. The individual discussing the issue suggests that the terms ##\frac {df}{d\epsilon}## and ##\frac {d\epsilon}{d\mathbf k}## should also be considered dependent on time, while the book only acknowledges the time dependence of ##p(t)## and ##\frac {d\mathbf k}{dt'}##.
SchroedingersLion
Good evening!

Going through a bunch of calculations in Ashcroft's and Mermin's Solid State Physics, I have come across either an error on their part or a missunderstanding on my part.

Suppose we have a concatenated function, say the fermi function ##f(\epsilon)## that goes from R to R. We know that ##\epsilon## is a function of the 3 dimensional wave vector k . If there are applied electromagnetic fields, the wave vector depends on time t', i.e. k(t').

Now suppose we want to calculate an integral $$\int_{-\infty}^t p(t')\frac {df}{dt'} \, dt' $$ with some scalar function ##p(t')##.
Chain rule tells us that ##\frac {df}{dt'} = \frac {df}{d\epsilon} \frac {d\epsilon}{d\mathbf k}\frac {d\mathbf k}{dt'}##, so we get $$ \int_{-\infty}^t p(t')\frac {df}{d\epsilon} \frac {d\epsilon}{d\mathbf k}\frac {d\mathbf k}{dt'} \, dt' $$

So, assuming that ##\frac {df}{d\epsilon}## would still depend on ##\epsilon ## and ##\frac {d\epsilon}{d\mathbf k}## would still depend on ##\mathbf k##, am I right in assuming that both of these terms would also be considered as being dependent on t'?
Because ##\epsilon## depends on ##\mathbf k## and the latter on t'. So, under the integral, I would express ##\epsilon## and ##\mathbf k## in terms of t', before I integrate.

Yet, the book keeps acting as if the time dependence only comes from ##p(t)## and ##\frac {d\mathbf k}{dt'}##.SL

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow I'm surprised this question hasn't gotten any answers at all.

Anyways, I'm not too knowledgeable but your reasoning makes total sense to me, and I want to ask if you can elaborate on what you mean by the book insisting that the "time dependence only comes from ##p(t)## and ##\frac {d\vec k} {dt'}##"? Do you mean the integrand's time dependence?

1. What is an integral over chained functions?

An integral over chained functions is a type of integral where the integrand is a composition of two or more functions. This means that the output of one function is used as the input for another function, creating a chain of functions.

2. How is an integral over chained functions evaluated?

An integral over chained functions is evaluated by using the chain rule of integration, which states that the integral of a composite function is equal to the integral of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. This process is repeated until all functions in the chain have been integrated.

3. What are some common examples of integrals over chained functions?

Some common examples of integrals over chained functions include trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions. For example, the integral of sin(x^2) or ln(cos(x)) would be considered integrals over chained functions.

4. What are the benefits of using integrals over chained functions?

Integrals over chained functions allow for the evaluation of more complex integrals by breaking them down into simpler parts. They also allow for the integration of functions that cannot be integrated using traditional methods, such as the substitution rule.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrals over chained functions?

One limitation of integrals over chained functions is that they can be time-consuming and require a lot of algebraic manipulation. They also may not always result in a closed-form solution, meaning the integral cannot be expressed as a simple function. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the integral.