Integrate f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)? Wolfram says not possible ....

• A
  • Thread starter mikejm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation was about creating a guitar amp distortion emulation using a waveshaping equation. The equation is f(x)= x/|x| * tanh (c * |x|^b), where x represents the raw guitar signal amplitudes. The exponent "b" is used to emulate crossover distortion as the values of x approach 0. In order to reduce aliasing, the speaker is seeking the integral for the equation, but Wolfram Alpha says that no integral exists. They then discuss reorganizing the equation to avoid the need for a special integration.
mikejm
I'm working on a guitar amp distortion emulation which is waveshaping based on the following equation:

f(x)= x/|x| * tanh (c * |x|^b)

This looks like this:
tanh.PNG

So the idea is values of "x" (the raw guitar signal amplitudes) are fed in and get soft then hard limited to an output of y=+/-1. As the x values approach 0, the exponent "b" shapes them to emulate crossover distortion.

I think it's a nice equation for this type of work.

In order to reduce aliasing (see here), I require the use of the equation's integral.

So I am seeking the integral for this equation, but Wolfram Alpha says that no integral exists. Even for a simplified version:

y= tanh (c*x^b)

It says no such integral exists.

Is this correct? Is there anyway to reorganize the equation or work around it to get a working integral?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• tanh.PNG
    tanh.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 957
Physics news on Phys.org
I just thought of something.

The order of operations can be done like:

tanh2.PNG

In which case no special integration of anything is required. I just have to run my "x" values through the (|x|^b*x/|x|) component before multiplying them by drive (c) and then feeding them into my standard tanhx and integrated tanh functions.

Problem solved, I think. :)

Attachments

• tanh2.PNG
    tanh2.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 478

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)?"

The term "integrate" in mathematics refers to the process of finding the antiderivative, or the original function, of a given function. In this case, f(x) = tanh(c*x^b) is an expression that defines a function.

2. Is it possible to integrate f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)?

According to Wolfram Alpha, it is not possible to find a closed form solution for the integral of f(x) = tanh(c*x^b). This means that there is no exact, symbolic expression that represents the antiderivative of this function. However, it is possible to approximate the integral numerically using numerical integration methods.

3. What is the domain and range of f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. For the function f(x) = tanh(c*x^b), the domain is all real numbers and the range is between -1 and 1.

4. How does the value of c and b affect the shape of f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)?

The value of c affects the slope of the function, with larger values of c resulting in a steeper slope. The value of b affects the curvature of the function, with larger values of b resulting in a sharper curve. Together, c and b determine the overall shape of the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of the function f(x) = tanh(c*x^b)?

The hyperbolic tangent function is commonly used in neural networks and machine learning to introduce non-linearities in the data. It is also used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena such as diffusion and heat flow. Additionally, it has applications in economics, biology, and other fields.