Integrate √sin2x (sinx) - Limit 0 to pi/2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we are trying to solve the integral of √sin2x * sinx from 0 to pi/2. Using the substitution method, we can simplify the integral to √2 * sin^3/2x * cos^1/2x. Using the beta function, we can solve for the value of the integral, which is equal to pi/4.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Help Integrate {√sin2x} (sinx) ? (underoot sin2x) * sinx.. Limit (0 to pi/2)?

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have: $$I:=\int_0^{\pi/2}\sqrt{\sin 2x}\sin x dx=\int_0^{\pi/2}\sqrt{2\sin x\cos x}\sin x dx=\sqrt{2}\int_0^{\pi/2}\sin^{3/2} x\cos^{1/2}x \; dx=\\
\sqrt{2}\frac{1}{2}B\left ( \frac{3/2+1}{2},\frac{1/2+1}{2} \right )=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}B\left ( \frac{5}{4},\frac{3}{4} \right )=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{\Gamma(5/4)\Gamma(1/4)}{\Gamma(2)}=\\
=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{(1/4)\Gamma((3/4)\Gamma(1/4)}{1!}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\Gamma(3/4)\Gamma (1/4)$$
Using the complement formula: $$I=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\frac{\pi}{\sin (\pi/4)}=\frac{\pi}{4}$$

1. What is the formula for integrating √sin2x (sinx)?

The formula for integrating √sin2x (sinx) is ∫√sin2x (sinx) dx = (2/3)sin3x + C.

2. How do you solve the limit 0 to pi/2 for √sin2x (sinx)?

To solve the limit 0 to pi/2 for √sin2x (sinx), you can use the substitution method by letting u = sinx. This will transform the limit into ∫√u (du) from 0 to 1, which can then be solved using the formula for integrating √sin2x (sinx).

3. Can you use the power rule to integrate √sin2x (sinx)?

No, the power rule cannot be used to integrate √sin2x (sinx). This is because the power rule only applies to functions with a variable raised to a power, while √sin2x (sinx) has a trigonometric function inside the square root.

4. What is the significance of the limits in the integration of √sin2x (sinx)?

The limits, in this case 0 to pi/2, indicate the range over which the integration is being performed. In other words, the limits specify the interval of x values for which the function is being integrated.

5. Can you use trigonometric identities to simplify √sin2x (sinx) before integrating?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used to simplify √sin2x (sinx) before integrating. For example, you can use the double angle identity sin2x = 2sinx cosx to rewrite the function as √2sinx (sinx cosx). This can help make the integration process easier.