Integrating a Photon Gas: Contour Integration for the Grand Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral form encountered when considering the grand potential for a photon gas. The integral is of the form \Sigma = a\int_{0}^{\infty}x^2\ln\Big(1 - e^{-bx}\Big)dx and can be evaluated using contour integration. The individual seeking assistance has not used this method before and is looking for someone to provide a perspective on the contour method for evaluating the integral. It is later recognized that this is a familiar integral found in Stefan's Law, but the individual is still interested in seeing the contour method in action. The contour method involves drawing an imaginary contour in the RE, IM plane, excluding the singularity at x=0, and evaluating
Parmenides
When considering the grand potential for a photon gas, one encounters an integral of the form:
[tex] \Sigma = a\int_{0}^{\infty}x^2\ln\Big(1 - e^{-bx}\Big)dx [/tex]
I have never had to integrate something like this before; I was told it is done via contour integration, but I have never used such a method and the examples typically given are not of this form. Could somebody please provide some assistance? I have tried to learn a bit myself, but I remain perplexed. What would be the contour enclosing such an integral, for example? Thanks.

UPDATE: I noticed that integration by parts puts the integral in a form of [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x^3dx}{e^{bx} - 1}[/tex] ignoring constants. I now recognize this as a familiar integral found in Stefan's Law, but it would still be nice to see someone's perspective of the contour method to evaluate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at your updated integral, this is an analytic function away from the singularity (simple pole) at x=0. The contour method would have you draw an imaginary contour in the RE, IM plane which traces the imaginary axis from +infty to +epsilon*i then makes a small half circle cut to +epsilon and follows the real axis to +infty, then has a semicircular closure with radius +infty. This contour excludes the singularity at 0, so clearly is analytic on the interior of the contour, which means it will be zero.

Therefore, the evaluation of your integral simplifies to the evaluation of the residue at x=zero.
See the wikipedia pages for more thorough explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_theorem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_(complex_analysis )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that differentiating your original equations with respect to b on both sides might help.

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral, also known as a line integral, is a mathematical concept that involves evaluating the integral of a function along a specific path or contour in the complex plane. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A contour integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves integrating along a specific path or contour in the complex plane, rather than over a specific interval on the real number line. This allows for the evaluation of complex functions and is particularly useful in solving problems related to complex analysis.

3. What is the significance of contour integrals in physics?

In physics, contour integrals are used to calculate physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They are also used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state.

4. How do you calculate a contour integral?

To calculate a contour integral, you first need to parameterize the contour or path of integration. Then, you substitute the parameterized path into the function being integrated. Finally, you integrate the resulting function with respect to the parameter over the specified range.

5. What are some applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems related to complex analysis, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They are also used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and other fields that involve complex functions.