Integrating definite Heaviside function

In summary, the triple integral has a heaviside function in the innermost integral and the author is unclear on how to integrate it manually.
bfeinberg
I am trying to integrate the following triple integral, which has a heaviside function in the inner most integral:$$ \frac{16}{c_{4}^{4}} \int_{0}^{c_{4}} c_{3}dc_{3} \int_{c_{3}}^{c_{4}} \frac{dc_{2}}{c_{2}} \int_{0}^{c_{2}}f(x)\left ( 1-H\left ( x-\left ( c_{4}-a \right ) \right ) \right )dx $$

where f(x)=x. I know ##c_{2}>0, c_{3}>0 , c_{4}>0, x>0 , a>0 ,$c_{4}>a##

I get the right answer (which I know already) using symbolic integration and the heaviside function in Matlab, which is:

$$1-4\frac{a^{2}}{c_{4}^{2}}+4\frac{a^{3}}{c_{4}^{3}}-\frac{a^{4}}{c_{4}^{4}}$$

However, it is not clear to me how to do this manually? I would like to know because I need to integrate this numerically for cases where f(x) is a more complicated function.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As with any function defined by different formulae on different subdomains, you need to integrate over each subdomain separately. Thus [tex]
\int_a^b f(x)~(1 - H(x - c))\,dx = \begin{cases}
0 & c \leq a, \\
\int_a^c f(x)\,dx & a < c \leq b, \\
\int_a^b f(x)\,dx & b < c. \end{cases}[/tex]

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this still doesn't seem to be giving me the right answer...? It is always true that ## a<c \leq b ## .

$$ \frac{16}{c_{4}^{4}} \int_{0}^{c_{4}} c_{3}dc_{3} \int_{c_{3}}^{c_{4}} \frac{dc_{2}}{c_{2}} \int_{0}^{c_{4}-a}f(x)dx $$

This gives me, upon my attempt at integration,

$$ 2 \frac{a^{2}}{{c_{4}}^2} - 4\frac{a}{c_{4}} + 2 $$

which unfortunately is not the same as the literature answer.

You can, of course, do the entire thing numerically because your integrand is just [tex]
f(x)(1 - H(x - (c_4 - a))) = \begin{cases} f(x), & 0 < x < c_4 - a \\
0, & c_4 - a \leq x < c_2\end{cases}[/tex] which is no more difficult to evaluate numerically than [itex]f(x)[/itex] itself.

Doing it manually requires us always to check where the limits of the integral fall in relation to [itex]c_4 - a[/itex], which given your constraints must lie between 0 and [itex]c_4[/itex], ie. within the limits of the outermost integral and therefore conceivably within the limits of the inner integrals.

Thus for [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] we find that the innermost integral is [tex]
\int_0^{c_2} x(1 - H(x - (c_4 - a)))\,dx = \frac12 \min\{(c_4 - a)^2, c_2^2\}.[/tex] The next integral out is then [tex]
\int_{c_3}^{c_4} \frac{1}{2c_2} \min\{(c_4 - a)^2, c_2^2\}\,dc_2.[/tex] Hence if [itex]c_3 < c_4 - a[/itex] then [tex]
\int_{c_3}^{c_4} \frac{1}{2c_2} \min\{(c_4 - a)^2, c_2^2\}\,dc_2 =
\int_{c_3}^{c_4 - a} \frac{1}{2c_2} c_2^2\,dc_2 + \int_{c_4 - a}^{c_4} \frac{1}{2c_2} (c_4 - a)^2\,dc_2 \\ =
\frac14 ((c_4 - a)^2 - c_3^2) + \frac{(c_4 - a)^2}{2} \log \left( \frac{c_4}{c_4 - a}\right)
[/tex] but if [itex]c_4 - a < c_3[/itex] then [tex]
\int_{c_3}^{c_4} \frac{1}{2c_2} \min\{(c_4 - a)^2, c_2^2\}\,dc_2 = \frac{(c_4 - a)^2}{2} \log \left( \frac{c_4}{c_3}\right).[/tex] Now we can do the outermost integral which is [tex]
\frac{16}{c_4^4} \int_0^{c_4 - a} \frac{c_3}4 ((c_4 - a)^2 - c_3^2) + \frac{c_3(c_4 - a)^2}{2} \log \left( \frac{c_4}{c_4 - a}\right)\,dc_3 +
\frac{16}{c_4^4} \int_{c_4 - a}^{c_4}\frac{c_3(c_4 - a)^2}{2} \log \left( \frac{c_4}{c_3}\right)\,dc_3.[/tex]

Related to Integrating definite Heaviside function

What is a definite Heaviside function?

A definite Heaviside function is a mathematical function that is used to represent a step function, which abruptly changes from 0 to 1 at a specific point. It is commonly denoted as H(x) or Θ(x).

What is the purpose of integrating definite Heaviside function?

The purpose of integrating definite Heaviside function is to find the area under the curve of the step function. This can be used in various applications such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the formula for integrating definite Heaviside function?

The formula for integrating definite Heaviside function is ∫H(x)dx = xH(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What are the limits of integration for integrating definite Heaviside function?

The limits of integration for integrating definite Heaviside function depend on the specific interval of the step function. The function is only integrated within the interval where it has a value of 1. Outside of this interval, the value of the integral is 0.

What are the applications of integrating definite Heaviside function?

Integrating definite Heaviside function has various applications in different fields. It can be used in circuit analysis, signal processing, and solving differential equations. It is also commonly used in economics to model the behavior of consumers in response to price changes.