Integrating Gaussians with complex arguments

In summary, the author is trying to find the integral of a function that involves conjugation, but is not getting the results he expects. He is suggesting that maybe the problem is with the exponent, and that if the exponent had an additional term, it might work.
hideelo
The integral I'm looking at is of the form

[tex]\int_\mathbb{C} dz \: \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2}K|z|^2 + \bar{J}z \right)[/tex]

Where [itex]K \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]J \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]

The book I am following (Kardar's Statistical Physics of Fields, Chapter 3 Problem 1) asserts that by completing the square this becomes [itex]Z \exp\left( \frac{- |J|^2}{2K} \right) [/itex] where [itex] Z = \int_\mathbb{C} dz \: \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2}K|z|^2 \right)[/itex]. I can't seem to reproduce this, and I think the trouble I'm running into arises from [itex]|z|^2[/itex] not being a square, but rather it involves conjugation as well. Therefore, I get the following

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}K|z|^2 + \bar{J}z = -\frac{1}{2}K\left( z\bar{z} -2 \frac{\bar{J}}{K}z \right)= -\frac{1}{2}K\left( z\bar{z} -2 \frac{\bar{J}}{K}z - 2 \frac{J}{K}\bar{z} +2 \frac{J}{K}\bar{z} + 4\frac{ |J|^2}{K^2} - 4 \frac{ |J|^2}{K^2} \right) = [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{1}{2}K\left( z - 2 \frac{J}{K} \right) \left( \bar{z} -2 \frac{\bar{J}}{K} \right) -J\bar{z} +2 \frac{ |J|^2}{K} [/tex]

Which means that I'm getting that

[tex]\int_\mathbb{C} dz \: \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2}K|z|^2 + \bar{J}z \right) = \left[ \int_\mathbb{C} dz \: \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2}K \left| z-2 \frac{J}{K} \right|^2 - J\bar{z} \right) \right] \exp\left( 2 \frac{ |J|^2}{K} \right) [/tex]

Which doesn't at all seem like

[tex] \left[ \int_\mathbb{C} dz \: \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2}K|z|^2 \right) \right] \exp\left( \frac{- |J|^2}{2K} \right) [/tex]

[itex][/itex]
[tex][/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked through all the details, but it looks like there was a shift in ##z##, i.e. ##z'=z-\frac{2J}{K^2}##.

mathman said:
I haven't worked through all the details, but it looks like there was a shift in ##z##, i.e. ##z'=z-\frac{2J}{K^2}##.

I don't think shifting [itex]z[/itex] by anything can help. Suppose you sent [itex]z \mapsto z+a[/itex] for any [itex]a[/itex] then I would get the following

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}K |z|^2+\bar{J}z \mapsto -\frac{1}{2}K |z+a|^2+\bar{J}(z + a) = [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}K \left( z\bar{z} + a\bar{z} + z\bar{a} +a\bar{a} -\frac{2\bar{J}}{K} z - \frac{2\bar{J}}{K}a \right) = [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}K \left( z\bar{z} + a\bar{z} + z \left( \bar{a} - \frac{2\bar{J}}{K} \right) +a\bar{a} - \frac{2\bar{J}}{K}a \right) [/tex]

If I want this to look like [itex]-\frac{1}{2}K|z+b|^2 + c[/itex], then I need to add and subtract terms with [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] which means that I can't pull [itex]e^c[/itex] out of the integral.

I'm getting a similar problem. It looks it will work only if ##J## and ##z## are real.

If the original exponent had an additional term ##+J\bar z##, it might work.

1. What are Gaussians with complex arguments?

Gaussians with complex arguments refer to a type of mathematical function that follows the Gaussian distribution curve, but with complex numbers as input variables. These functions are widely used in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering.

2. How do you integrate Gaussians with complex arguments?

To integrate Gaussians with complex arguments, you can use techniques such as contour integration or the Cauchy residue theorem. These methods involve manipulating the complex variables and applying mathematical rules to evaluate the integral.

3. What are the applications of integrating Gaussians with complex arguments?

Integrating Gaussians with complex arguments has many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics. These integrals are also used in statistical analysis to model and analyze complex data.

4. Is it necessary to use complex numbers when integrating Gaussians?

No, it is not always necessary to use complex numbers when integrating Gaussians. In some cases, the integral can be evaluated using real numbers. However, when dealing with complex systems or functions, using complex numbers can provide more accurate results.

5. Are there any challenges in integrating Gaussians with complex arguments?

Integrating Gaussians with complex arguments can be challenging due to the complex nature of the variables involved. It requires a solid understanding of complex analysis and calculus. Additionally, the integrals may not always have closed-form solutions, making numerical methods necessary for evaluation.