Integrating scaled and translated indicator function

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral involving the indicator function on a specific interval. The idea is to rewrite the indicator function and reduce the integral to the length of the allowed interval. Three cases are considered, with the integral being equal to zero in the first case and the length of the interval in the other two cases.
Wuberdall
I am struggling to evaluate the following, relatively easy, integral (it might be because its early on a monday morning):
$$I_{jk}(a)=\int_0^a\chi_{[0,1)}(2^jx-k)\,dx,$$
where ##\chi_{[0,1)}(x)## denotes the indicator function on ##[0,1)## and ##j,k## are both integers.
My idea is to rewrite the indicator function as
$$ \chi_{[0,1)}(2^jx-k) = \chi_{[2^{-j}k,2^{-j}(k+1))}(x). $$
Thus,
$$ I_{jk}(a) = \int_0^a \chi_{[2^{-j}k,2^{-j}(k+1))}(x)\,dx. $$
And this is here I am stuck. I will welcome any ideas or advice with open arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral then has 3 cases: [tex]2^{-j}k > a,\ 2^{-j}k \le a<2^{-j}(k+1), \ and\ 2^{-j}(k+1) \le a[/tex]. In each case, the integral is simply the length of the allowed interval. Note that the first case integral = 0, while [tex]2^{-j}k [/tex] is the lower limit for the other 2.

1. What is the purpose of integrating scaled and translated indicator function?

The purpose of integrating scaled and translated indicator function is to measure the area under a curve that represents a specific event or condition. It allows for the quantification of the frequency or occurrence of the event within a given range.

2. How is the scaled and translated indicator function calculated?

The scaled and translated indicator function is calculated by multiplying the original indicator function by a scaling factor and then translating it horizontally or vertically. The scaling and translation factors can be adjusted to accurately represent the event or condition being measured.

3. What is the difference between integrating scaled and translated indicator function and regular integration?

The main difference between integrating scaled and translated indicator function and regular integration is that the former is specifically used to measure the area under a curve that represents a specific event or condition. Regular integration, on the other hand, is used to find the general area under a curve without any specific event or condition in mind.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrating scaled and translated indicator function?

Integrating scaled and translated indicator function is commonly used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to measure the frequency of certain events in financial data, track the progress of a project, or analyze the effectiveness of a marketing campaign.

5. How can integrating scaled and translated indicator function be useful in scientific research?

In scientific research, integrating scaled and translated indicator function can be used to quantify the occurrence of specific events or conditions in data sets. This can help researchers to identify patterns, trends, and correlations that may not be apparent through regular data analysis techniques. It can also aid in making predictions and formulating hypotheses for further research.