Integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for solving the integral of exp(x)*f'(x) with respect to x. The participants suggest using integration by parts, but this method becomes complex due to the complexity of the function f(x). They also consider using numerical calculus or approximations, but ultimately conclude that there may not be a simpler solution for this integral.
bventer
Hi, besides integration by parts, does anyone know of a simple integration trick to solve the integral (wrt x) of exp(x)*f'(x)?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you show me how it's done by integration by parts?

Using integration by parts I get: exp(x)*f(x) - Int[exp(x)*f(x), dx]. But that doesn't really help me due to the complexity of the function f(x). I was hoping there might be a clever trick to exploit the fact that part of my integrand is a first derivative?

that doesn't really help me due to the complexity of the function f(x).
Why not showing us what is f '(x) ?

bventer said:
Using integration by parts I get: exp(x)*f(x) - Int[exp(x)*f(x), dx]. But that doesn't really help me due to the complexity of the function f(x). I was hoping there might be a clever trick to exploit the fact that part of my integrand is a first derivative?

Oh sorry, I missed the ' in f'(x) and thought you tried to find a solution to the integral of exf(x).

I can't think of another way to show it besides that technique, maybe someone else can.

To JJacquelin: I you wish, see attached jpg (apologies, but I am not well versed in Latex)

Attachments

• f(x).JPG
    f(x).JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 440
Mentallic said:
Oh sorry, I missed the ' in f'(x) and thought you tried to find a solution to the integral of exf(x).

I can't think of another way to show it besides that technique, maybe someone else can.
Ok, thanks for having a look Mentallic

bventer said:
To JJacquelin: I you wish, see attached jpg (apologies, but I am not well versed in Latex)

How is the y(H) function defined?

Mentallic said:
How is the y(H) function defined?
y(H) is a quadratic: a0 + a1*H + a2*H^2

Probably, there is no analytic way to integrate a so complicated function.
Better think to use numerical calculus, or approximations if it is a problem of physics.

Thanks JJacquelin, but I did say that I was hoping there might be a clever trick to exploit the fact that part of my integrand is a first derivative...

I was hoping there might be a clever trick to exploit the fact that part of my integrand is a first derivative...
I doubt that a "clever trick" exists. By the way, the first derivative of what function ?
If the function is as complicated as its derivative,then there is few hope.

bventer said:
Thanks JJacquelin, but I did say that I was hoping there might be a clever trick to exploit the fact that part of my integrand is a first derivative...
Yes, there is! It is precisely the "integration by parts", letting dv= f'(x)dx that you initially did.

Thanks, but unless I'm missing something this takes me back to the point I mentioned earlier in the thread: exp(x)*f(x) - Int[exp(x)*f(x), dx], which doesn't really help me due to the complexity of the function f(x).

Related to Integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative

1. What is the mathematical expression for integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative?

The mathematical expression for integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative is ∫(e^x)(f'(x))dx.

2. What is the purpose of integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative?

The purpose of integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative is to find the antiderivative, or the original function, of the product. This can be useful in solving various mathematical problems and applications.

3. How do you solve an integral with an exponential and a first derivative?

To solve an integral with an exponential and a first derivative, you can use the formula ∫(e^x)(f'(x))dx = e^x(f(x)) - ∫(e^x)(f(x))dx. This is known as integration by parts.

4. Can the integration of an exponential and a first derivative be simplified?

Yes, the integration of an exponential and a first derivative can sometimes be simplified by using substitution or other techniques. However, in some cases, the integral may not have a closed-form solution and cannot be simplified.

5. How is integrating the product of an exponential and a first derivative related to the chain rule?

The integration of the product of an exponential and a first derivative is related to the chain rule because the derivative of an exponential function is equal to the original function multiplied by its derivative. This is similar to the chain rule, where the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.