Integrating velocity with respect to time when velocity depends on position

In summary, the particle moves from point A to point B in one dimension. The velocity of the particle changes with position according to some formula V = V(x). If I could write V as a function of time, I could than integrate V=V(t) from 0 to t and that would give me the transit time. How do I do it if V depends on X? Say, for example, V(X) = 1 + axdx=vdt, so dt=dx/v, integrate to find time. If I have v=v(t), I can integrate v from 0 to t to get the total distance traveled. I already know time in that case. If I don't have time I'd
timsea81
Okay this seems like it should be simple but I'm stuck.

A particle moves from point A to point B in one dimension. The velocity of the particle changes with position according to some formula V = V(x). How long does it take for the particle to get from point A to point B?

If I could write V as a function of time, I could than integrate V=V(t) from 0 to t and that would give me the transit time. How do I do it if V depends on X?

Say, for example, V(X) = 1 + ax

Physics news on Phys.org
dx=vdt, so dt=dx/v, integrate to find time

Thanks. That does it, and I think I understand it now. I was thinking of it backwards before.

If I have v=v(t), I can integrate v from 0 to t to get the total distance traveled. I already know time in that case. If I don't have time I'd have to solve this for t, set it equal to t, and solve. In this case v = dx/dt --> dx = v dt, so integrating v dt gives you x.

If I have v=v(x) I solve so that dx is at the end of the expression: dt = (1/v) dx so I can integrate with respect to x, the variable that I know.

why can't you guys bother to use [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] on this site that provides that resource?

it helps you articulate your question or answer. and it makes it easier for anyone to read either.

Why can't you bother capitalizing the first words of your sentences, or proofreading your post to realize that the word "either" was used wrong?

I don't know latex, that's why I didn't use it. Do you similarly not know the English language?

I guess I might say "thanks for the tip" had you not worded your response as a criticism.

Likes Khal_eesi

Related to Integrating velocity with respect to time when velocity depends on position

1. What is the formula for integrating velocity with respect to time when velocity depends on position?

The formula for integrating velocity with respect to time when velocity depends on position is ∫v(x) dx, where v(x) is the velocity function and dx represents the change in position.

2. How is this formula different from the basic integration formula?

This formula is different from the basic integration formula because it takes into account the relationship between velocity and position. In the basic formula, the variable being integrated is typically time, whereas in this formula it is position.

3. What does it mean when velocity depends on position?

When velocity depends on position, it means that the velocity of an object is not constant and changes as the position of the object changes. This can happen when an object is moving through a curved path or when there are external forces acting on the object.

4. Can this formula be used for all types of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of motion as long as the velocity depends on the position of the object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the displacement of an object over time.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating velocity with respect to time when velocity depends on position?

Some real-life applications of this formula include calculating the distance traveled by a car on a curved road, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of particles in a fluid. It is also used in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and animation.