Integration algabriac manipulation problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding a mathematical step in a problem. They are struggling to understand how a certain integral can be written in a specific form. After some discussion, it is clarified that a certain rule is being used and the person is able to understand and solve the problem.
Bried
Hello there,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with some intermediate steps please. I can't see how
$$f_{tt} =-\int_{r_0}^0 \left(\frac{2Gm_0}{r} - \frac{2Gm_0}{r_0}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dr$$
becomes
$$f_{tt} =- \left(\frac{2Gm_0}{r_0}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\int_{r_0}^0\left(\frac{r_0}{r}-1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}dr$$
I've been wracking my brain over this and can't see how it's been done. I originally thought that the fraction containing all the constants was pulled out somehow but this can't be possible since
$$(A+B)^n \neq A^n + B^n$$
I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Regards

Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct with ##\left( A + B \right)^n \neq A^n +B^n##.
That's not what we are using here.

We use that ##\left( C\cdot A + C \cdot B\right)^n = \left[ C\left(A+b\right)\right]^n = C^n\left(A+B\right)^n##

Excellent! Thank you so much. I've just had a scribble around and got it sussed now. :smile:

Regards

Brian

1. What is integration algebraic manipulation?

Integration algebraic manipulation is a mathematical process that involves manipulating algebraic expressions in order to solve integration problems. It involves using various algebraic techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to simplify and solve the integral.

2. How do I know when to use integration algebraic manipulation?

You should use integration algebraic manipulation when you are given an integral that cannot be solved using basic integration rules. Look for algebraic expressions within the integral and try to simplify or manipulate them in order to make the integral easier to solve.

3. What are some common techniques used in integration algebraic manipulation?

Some common techniques used in integration algebraic manipulation include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. These techniques allow you to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Are there any tips for solving integration algebraic manipulation problems?

One tip for solving integration algebraic manipulation problems is to carefully study the algebraic expression within the integral and try to find patterns or similarities to known integrals. You can also try different techniques and see which one works best for a particular problem.

5. Can integration algebraic manipulation be used for all integration problems?

No, integration algebraic manipulation is not applicable to all integration problems. Some integrals may require more advanced techniques such as integration by substitution or numerical methods. It is important to understand when to use integration algebraic manipulation and when to use other methods.