Integration : Are a function and it's derivative independent?

In summary, the conversation discusses an integration problem involving the function f and its derivative f'. It is unclear if the given integration is correct, but there is a suggestion to differentiate the result and check if it matches the integrand. There is also a question about the meaning of partial derivatives.
jk22
The question is a bit confused, but it refers to if the following integration is correct :

$$I=\int \frac{1}{1+f'(x)}f'(x)dx$$

$$df=f'(x)dx$$

$$\Rightarrow I=\int\frac{1}{1+f'}df=?\frac{f}{1+f'}+C$$

The last equality would come if I suppose $f,f'$ are independent variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
jk22 said:
The question is a bit confused, but it refers to if the following integration is correct :

$$I=\int \frac{1}{1+f'(x)}f'(x)dx$$

$$df=f'(x)dx$$

$$\Rightarrow I=\int\frac{1}{1+f'}df=?\frac{f}{1+f'}+C$$

The last equality would come if I suppose $f,f'$ are independent variables.
Try differentiating the result and see whether you get the integrand.

I get $$\frac{d}{dx}\frac{f(x)}{1+f'(x)}=\frac{f'(x)}{1+f'(x)}+f(x)\frac{(-1)}{(1+f'(x))^2}f''(x)$$

But if I try : Integrate(1/(1+D(f(x),x)),f) on WolframAlpha I get the above result ?!
Or maybe the partial derivative means something else ?

You asked initially whether
jk22 said:
$$I=\int\frac{f'}{1+f'}dx=?\frac{f}{1+f'}+C$$
and have been told to differentiate. So
$$
\dfrac{d}{dx} I =\dfrac{f'}{1+f'}
$$
and the question is, whether this equals ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\dfrac{f}{1+f'}+C\right)##. Does it?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve, or the reverse of differentiation. It is used to solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is integration related to derivatives?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations, meaning that they "undo" each other. The derivative of a function represents its rate of change, while the integral of a function represents the accumulation of its values. In other words, integration and differentiation are two sides of the same coin.

3. Can a function and its derivative be independent?

Yes, a function and its derivative can be independent. This means that the derivative of a function does not necessarily determine the original function, and the original function does not necessarily determine its derivative. There are many possible functions that can have the same derivative.

4. How do I know if a function and its derivative are independent?

To determine if a function and its derivative are independent, you can check if the derivative of the function is equal to zero. If the derivative is zero, then the function and its derivative are dependent, and the derivative does determine the original function. If the derivative is not zero, then the function and its derivative are independent.

5. What is the relationship between integration and the area under a curve?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration is equivalent to finding the area under a curve. This means that the integral of a function represents the accumulation of its values, or the sum of all the small areas under the curve. Integration allows us to find the exact area under a curve, which can be useful in many applications.