Integration by parts and coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts to find the Fourier coefficients for the expansion of sin(theta). The final answer is found to be zero, despite expectations that it should have a non-zero value. After further consideration, it is determined that the integrand is an even function, resulting in a final answer of zero when integrating over limits symmetrical to theta = 0.
Somefantastik
[tex] b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}sin\theta sin n\theta d \theta [/tex]

let

[tex] u = sin \theta, \ du = cos \theta d \theta [/tex]
[tex] dv = sin n \theta d \theta, \ v = -\frac{1}{n}cosn \theta [/tex]

[tex] = \left[-\frac{1}{n} sin \theta cos n \theta \right|^{\pi}_{-\pi} + \frac{1}{n} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} cos \theta cos n \theta d \theta \right] [/tex]

now [tex]-\frac{1}{n} sin \theta cos n \theta \right|^{\pi}_{-\pi} = 0 [/tex]

and

[tex] u = cos\theta, \ du = -sin \theta d\theta [/tex]

[tex] dv = -sin\theta d\theta, \ v = \frac{1}{n}sin n \theta [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{n} \left[\frac{1}{n} cos \theta sin n \theta \right|^{\pi}_{-\pi} + \frac{1}{n} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} sin \theta sin n\theta \right] [/tex]

I keep getting that to come out to zero but I know it shouldn't. I'm not sure what it should come out to, but it's a Fourier coeff for expanding sin(x). Since sin(x) is an odd function, I know that this coeff should have a value other than 0.

Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do "integration by parts" twice to get the answer. You are correct - it's not zero.

well I did, and got zero. The second integration by parts is the last line. What am I missing here?

I don't have time to go through your entire calculation, but one of the denominators should be n-squared and not n. Then the terms don't cancel. I hope this helps.

Ok thanks for looking. I'll keep trying.

[tex] b_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}sin\theta sin n\theta d \theta [/tex]

let

[tex] u = sin \theta, \ du = cos \theta d \theta [/tex]
[tex] dv = sin n \theta d \theta, \ v = -\frac{1}{n}cosn \theta [/tex]

[tex] = \left[-\frac{1}{n} sin \theta cos n \theta \right]^{\pi}_{-\pi} + \left[\frac{1}{n} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} cos \theta cos n \theta d \theta \right] [/tex]

now [tex]\left[-\frac{1}{n} sin \theta cos n \theta \right]^{\pi}_{-\pi} = 0 [/tex]

and

[tex] u = cos\theta, \ du = -sin \theta d\theta [/tex]

[tex] dv = -sin\theta d\theta, \ v = \frac{1}{n}sin n \theta [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{n} \left[\frac{1}{n} cos \theta sin n \theta \right]^{\pi}_{-\pi} + \frac{1}{n} \left[\frac{1}{n} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} sin \theta sin n\theta \right] [/tex]

since [tex]\frac{1}{n} \left[\frac{1}{n}cos\theta sin n \theta \right]^{\pi}_{-\pi} = 0 [/tex]

Then

[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}sin\theta sin n\theta d \theta = \frac{1}{n^{2}}\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}sin\theta sin n\theta d \theta [/tex]

That still looks like zero to me. ? :(

Sorry - yesterday I never actually evaluated my answer.

After reconsidering the problem, I realize that because the integrand is the sine of theta - an odd function - times the sine of (n times theta) - another odd function - the integrand is an even function. Therefore integrating over limits that are symmetrical to theta = zero will yield an answer of zero.

I verified this by evaluating my answer from negative pi to pi.

So, I now believe your original answer is correct, despite your misgivings.

Weird. Shouldn't be zero. I was trying to find the coefficients for a Fourier series exp. of sin(theta). All the an's should be zero, but the bn's should be some value.

Related to Integration by parts and coefficients

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and can be used to simplify complex integrals.

2. How do you determine which function to integrate and which function to differentiate in integration by parts?

When using integration by parts, you can choose which function to integrate and which function to differentiate based on a memorized acronym, LIATE. This stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, ATE

3. What are the coefficients in integration by parts?

The coefficients in integration by parts refer to the constants that are used to balance the equation when integrating. These coefficients are determined by using the product rule and integrating both sides of the equation.

4. Can integration by parts be used for all types of integrals?

Integration by parts can be used for a wide variety of integrals, but it is most effective for integrals that have a product of two functions. It may not work as well for other types of integrals, such as those involving trigonometric functions or those with multiple variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is also important to be careful with the order of operations when using the technique, as well as choosing the correct functions to integrate and differentiate. It is also important to carefully check the signs and exponents when simplifying the equation.