Integration by Substitution Using Infinite Sums

In summary, substitution works in integration because of the chain rule for derivatives. It can be formally proved by substituting the function g(x) with t in the integral and using the fact that the integral is the antiderivative. The substitution can also be done using the differential notation, where dx can be replaced with du/g'(x). This simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.
Conductivity
I have seen the wikipedia's proof which can be found here: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Integration_by_Substitution
However sometimes, we have problems where you have a ##d(x)## times ## f(g(x))## times g prime of x where we use substitution and it works but the proof didn't prove this condition..

I was wondering if you can prove why it works through infinite sums like for example
##( f(g(x)) g^{'}(x) dx + f(g(x+dx)) g^{'}(x+dx) dx + ... ) ##
If I can change that to this
##( f(y) dy + f(y+dy) dy + ... ## where you set y = g(x)
It would statisfy me.. But is it possible to prove it using this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitution works because the chain rule for derivative works:

## [f(g(x))]'=f'(g(x))g'(x) ##

if you integrate both sides, you will obtain

## \int [f(g(x))]' dx=\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx ##

that is the same of ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx = f(g(x)) + c ## because the integral is the antiderivation so ## \int [f(g(x))]' dx=f(g(x))+c##. This formally can be done substituting in the integral ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx## the function ## g(x)=t## so ##g'(x)dx=dt## (we do a substitution on differentials) differentiating and ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx=\int f'(t)dt=f(t)+c##, returning in ##g## we have: ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx=f(g(x))+c##.

Ssnow

Ssnow said:
Substitution works because the chain rule for derivative works:

if you integrate both sides, you will obtain

## \int [f(g(x))]' dx=\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx ##

that is the same of ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx = f(g(x)) + c ## because the integral is the antiderivation so ## \int [f(g(x))]' dx=f(g(x))+c##. This formally can be done substituting in the integral ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx## the function ## g(x)=t## so ##g'(x)dx=dt## (we do a substitution on differentials) differentiating and ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx=\int f'(t)dt=f(t)+c##, returning in ##g## we have: ##\int f'(g(x))g'(x) dx=f(g(x))+c##.

Ssnow
Oh, Can I think of it as this?
This is just df/dx So If I make a variable called u= g(x) and then du/dx = g(x) now flipping this over gives you dx/du = 1/g(x) and we can then multiply it to df/dx to get df/du by chain rule and then we integrate with respect to u.

What bothers me is: Why is dx substitute-able rather than a notation to let us know what we are integrating in respect to?
I know that it refers to something infinitesimal and the integration just means the infinite sums of f(x) multiplied by dx which would make sense in these cases
du/dx = 1/u
u du = 1 dx
##\int u du = \int 1 dx ##

Now I can apply the same logic to the substitution rule. I can assign a value u and say dx = du/g'(x) which then substitute it and integrate to get the infinite sum of ## \int f(u) du ## But I still prefer the first argument.

Excuse me if I am talking nonsense just getting started at integration

Conductivity said:
Oh, Can I think of it as this?
[f(g(x))]′=f′(g(x))g′(x) [f(g(x))]'=f'(g(x))g'(x)
This is just df/dx So If I make a variable called u= g(x) and then du/dx = g(x) now flipping this over gives you dx/du = 1/g(x) and we can then multiply it to df/dx to get df/du by chain rule and then we integrate with respect to u.

Yes.

Conductivity said:
Why is dx substitute-able rather than a notation to let us know what we are integrating in respect to?

I don't know if can help but the fact is that the presence of derivative inside the integral permit you to substitute ''the differential'', that is the espression ##g'(x)dx## (that you can see as an ''incremental quantity'' ) with another much simpler as ##du##. Consequence of this: your integral will be simpler then the first (this is similar to the integration by part rule)

Conductivity said:
Excuse me if I am talking nonsense just getting started at integration

No absolutely, your talk is perfectly reasonable :smile:.

Ssnow

Related to Integration by Substitution Using Infinite Sums

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method of solving integrals that involves substituting one variable for another in the integrand in order to simplify the integral.

2. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a complicated function that can be simplified by substituting a new variable.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable is typically chosen to cancel out a complicated term in the integrand or to make the integral easier to solve. It is usually helpful to choose a variable that appears in the integrand or is related to it.

4. What are the steps for solving an integral using integration by substitution?

The steps for solving an integral using integration by substitution are: 1) identify a suitable substitution variable, 2) rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable, 3) find the derivative of the new variable, 4) substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integral, and 5) solve the resulting integral using basic integration techniques.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by substitution are: 1) forgetting to substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integral, 2) choosing a substitution variable that does not simplify the integral, and 3) incorrectly finding the derivative of the new variable.