Intensity characterization of laser pulses

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fluorescence spectroscopy to obtain the fluorescence spectrum of exposed neuroblasts to UV radiation. The speaker is trying to characterize the radiation pulses of a Nd:YAG laser using a spectrometer but is getting a decay instead of the expected fluctuations in intensity. They suggest using a silicon photodiode detector and an oscilloscope to measure the individual pulses, but the other person does not have an integrating sphere. An alternative suggestion is to use a diffuse surface as an attenuator for the laser.
LuL
754/5000
I am using the fluroescence spectroscopy technique to obtain the fluorescence spectrum of exposed neuroblasts to uv radiation (355 nm) from a Nd:YAG source and I need to characterize the radiation pulses of the laser. Specifically, I use a spectrometer (Avantes brand) with integration time of 250 ms, to obtain the average intensity (a.u.) in a specific number of pulses, I modify the average of scans. I'm supposed to get fluctuations in intensity but I get a decay. I understand that the spectrometer detects less energy because I expose the sample less time to radiation. Then I can not find a way to get the fluctuations of intensity in the different numbers of pulses. Standard deviation. I'm really confused

Science news on Phys.org
For the laser, I suggest you measure the pulses without a spectrometer. Silicon photodiode detectors should be commercially available and the output can be displayed on an oscilloscope. You may need something such as an integrating sphere to attenuate the signal, with the detector placed a good distance from the output port of the integrating sphere. To see what the individual pulses are doing, you can see the results, and take many readings from the oscilloscope.

Thank you very much for the reply. But I do not have an integrating sphere.

LuL said:
Thank you very much for the reply. But I do not have an integrating sphere.
You can also use a diffuse surface, and scatter the laser off of it. You may get some specular reflection along with the diffuse scattering. In any case, a diffuse plate can make a good attenuator. Most lasers are too bright to aim them directly at a photosensor.

1. What is intensity characterization of laser pulses?

Intensity characterization of laser pulses is the measurement of the power and energy of laser pulses over time. This allows scientists to understand the behavior and properties of laser pulses and how they interact with different materials.

2. Why is intensity characterization important in laser research?

Intensity characterization is important because it provides crucial information about the quality and consistency of laser pulses, which is essential for applications such as laser surgery, material processing, and telecommunications. It also allows scientists to study the effects of different laser parameters on the intensity of laser pulses.

3. How is intensity characterization of laser pulses typically performed?

Intensity characterization is typically performed using specialized equipment such as photodiodes, spectrometers, and autocorrelators. These tools can measure the power and energy of laser pulses at different wavelengths and time intervals, providing a comprehensive analysis of the intensity profile.

4. What are the common parameters used to describe the intensity of laser pulses?

The most common parameters used to describe the intensity of laser pulses are peak power, average power, pulse duration, and pulse energy. These parameters provide information about the maximum power output, the average power over time, and the duration and energy of each individual pulse.

5. How does intensity characterization help in optimizing laser performance?

By accurately characterizing the intensity of laser pulses, scientists can optimize the performance of lasers by adjusting parameters such as pulse duration, repetition rate, and energy. This allows for more precise and efficient use of laser technology in various applications.