Interesting Use Of Pigeonhole Principle

In summary, the article from Scientific American discusses a simple theorem that states that approximately 8,000 people around the world have the same number of hairs on their head. The author shares their own personal experience with this theorem being used in education and also mentions a related exercise involving pigeonhole principle and bird nests.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It opens for me, it must be free. The example is fairly well known. I've seen it more than once since I was a child.

Likes bhobba and FactChecker
The SA article opened fine for me. I do not recall human head hairiness as a sage example of teaching the pigeonhole principle.

I do recall a teacher using using this premise to discuss boundary value problems and limits, as in how does one define the hairiness counting space, do facial hairs count, neck hairs, etc. Lively discussion ensued before the class delved into Dirichlet problem, Green's function and general boundary conditions. Perhaps I simply do not remember a pigeonhole reference.

Most striking for me was learning the pigeonhole principle at my first college adjacent to the Old Mission in Santa Barbara, CA. Mud swallows had colonized the eaves, building small spherical nests with distinctive round openings. Our geometry/stats teacher had us delineate a nesting section then attempt to count the birds returning from insect hunts entering the nests.

While not a precise exercise, we learned a practical lesson.

ent%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F09%2FSan-Juan-swallow-nests.jpg

Picture of swallow nests from Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.

Likes bhobba

What is the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a mathematical concept that states that if there are more pigeons than pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one pigeon.

How is the Pigeonhole Principle used in science?

The Pigeonhole Principle is often used in science to prove the existence of solutions or patterns in a given set of data or to show that certain outcomes are inevitable.

Can you give an example of the Pigeonhole Principle in action?

One example of the Pigeonhole Principle in action is the birthday problem, which states that in a group of 23 people, there is a greater than 50% chance that two people will share the same birthday.

What are the limitations of the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle is limited in its application to finite sets and cannot be used to prove the existence of a specific solution or outcome.

How can the Pigeonhole Principle be applied in real-world situations?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be applied in various real-world situations, such as scheduling conflicts, data analysis, and computer algorithms. It can also be used to explain phenomena in nature, such as the distribution of species in an ecosystem.