Interference in thin films; confusion regarding geometry

In summary, the book starts off with two films with an angled air wedge between them. They talk about the "thickness", ##t##, of the wedge, but this thickness varies along the length of the films (Figure 35.12). This is something else that is causing me confusion when it comes to the example problems at the end. Firstly, all of this is impossible because the book itself says that we are restricting discussion to normal incident rays. But you can see in figure 35.12 that the incident ray from the air wedge approaching the second glass film is not normal. Is this all just an approximation? How is it justified? I don't see how you can introduce this angled air wedge problem when you just proclaimed that all
rtareen
Instead of talking about the simple of case of reflection interference due to a single film, this book starts off with two films with an angled air wedge between them. They talk about the "thickness", ##t##, of the wedge, but this thickness varies along the length of the films (Figure 35.`12). This is and something else is causing me confusion when it comes to the example problems at the end.

Firstly, all of this is impossible because the book itself says that we are restricting discussion to normal incident rays. But you can see in figure 35.12 that the incident ray from the air wedge approaching the second glass film is not normal. Is this all just an approximation? How is it justified? I don't see how you can introduce this angled air wedge problem when you just proclaimed that all incident rays must be normal to the interfaces.

Second, in example problem 35.4, we use the equation ##2t = m\lambda## to try and find the positions along the length where there will be destructive reflection. But the problem is that the thickness of the air wedge is changing with each position, yet we use the same equation ##x = m(1.25 mm)## for each position when the thickness is changing with position. Or does the thickness depend on which value of ##m## you choose? That would make sense.

Finally, the book doesn't really say it, but when we talk about the equation ##2t = m\lambda##, both ##t## and ##\lambda## are characteristics of the second material only right? Thats what I think. Because were looking at how many wavelengths the ray travels through the thickess of the second material twice, right? The book doesn't say this clearly, and I want to confirm if this is right.

Attachments

• Sears and Zemanskys University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman...pdf
    239.8 KB · Views: 349
Science news on Phys.org
Yes m numbers the successive dark fringes as you surmise.
The wavelength is the wavelength in the wedge of air between the slides ( I don't know what you mean by the "second material")

rtareen said:
Summary:: Question is regarding example problem 35.4. I attached the entire section for background.

Or does the thickness depend on which value of m you choose? That would make sense.
I think you must have read this wrong and then confusion set in. The equation is telling you the values of t where you get cancellation or enhancement. That's all there is to it. It's one of those 'inside out' statements that they throw at you at times.

sophiecentaur said:
I think you must have read this wrong and then confusion set in. The equation is telling you the values of t where you get cancellation or enhancement. That's all there is to it. It's one of those 'inside out' statements that they throw at you at times.
I can understand that. Thank you!

Likes sophiecentaur
hutchphd said:
Yes m numbers the successive dark fringes as you surmise.
The wavelength is the wavelength in the wedge of air between the slides ( I don't know what you mean by the "second material")
Thank you~

Likes hutchphd

1. What is interference in thin films?

Interference in thin films refers to the phenomenon where light waves reflect and interfere with each other as they pass through a thin film of a material. This results in the formation of colors and patterns that are visible to the human eye.

2. How does interference in thin films occur?

Interference in thin films occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film at different angles. This causes the waves to interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, resulting in the observed colors and patterns.

3. What is the role of geometry in interference in thin films?

The geometry of the thin film, specifically its thickness and refractive index, plays a crucial role in determining the colors and patterns observed in interference. This is because the thickness of the film affects the path length of the light waves, and the refractive index determines the speed at which the waves travel through the film.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect interference in thin films?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light waves hit the thin film, can affect the interference pattern observed. This is because different angles of incidence result in different path lengths for the light waves, leading to different interference patterns.

5. What are some real-world applications of interference in thin films?

Interference in thin films has various practical applications, such as in anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses and camera lenses, in the production of colorful soap bubbles and oil slicks, and in the creation of thin-film interference filters used in optical devices.