Interference pattern of light

In summary, this experiment is not going to work because you need a coherent, preferably monochromatic, light source and a slit separation comparable to the wavelength (order micrometer).
Trollfaz
Why is it that when I conduct the double slit experiment at home by shining light through 2 slits, I get no interference pattern but certain experiments are able to produce it?

Science news on Phys.org
What source are you using and how are your slits constructed?

Flashlight and the slits are made from 2 holes in the paper

That is never going to work. You need a coherent, preferably monochromatic, light source (read "laser") and a slit separation comparable to the wavelength (order micrometer).

Why is it that the air molecules don't cause the light to switch to a particle behaviour, like the.electrons?

Trollfaz said:
Why is it that the air molecules don't cause the light to switch to a particle behaviour, like the.electrons?
The interaction between light and air is very weak, so visible light in air behaves pretty much as if it were in a vacuum. Free electrons on the other hand interact with just about everything', including random air molecules.

(Also, be aware that the double-slit experiment is not explained by saying that light or anything else switches between wave and particle behavior; that idea predates the modern development of quantum mechanics and is no longer used seriously).

Trollfaz said:
Why is it that when I conduct the double slit experiment at home by shining light through 2 slits, I get no interference pattern but certain experiments are able to produce it?
If you take a thin piece of glass (microscope slide is ideal but the glass from a photo frame could do) deposit a layer of carbon ("lamp black") on it from a candle flame. Then scratch two very parallel lines on it, as close together as you can get with a fine needle (some practice is needed for this). Then shine the light from a cheapo laser pointer through it. It will give you a very convincing set of interfering fringes.
The sizes are right and the coherence of the light source is right so that should do the job.

Likes Dale and anorlunda
sophiecentaur said:
Then scratch two very parallel lines on it, as close together as you can get with a fine needle (some practice is needed for this).
Or you could just buy a diffraction grating or use a CD to achieve the same type of effect.

Agreed but the pattern is significantly different. Plus, it's nice to make your own kit if you can.
With a laser pen you can get all sorts of diffraction effects. Thin oil films, bubbles, fine machine threads. Exciting stuff.

Trollfaz said:

Actually, you DO get an interference pattern with a "white light", or a non-monochromatic light. It is just not what you would expect had you use a monochromatic light. I just did this in class with my students using both a laser and a light bulb, using both a double slit and a diffraction grating.

A prism, a diffraction grating, and a double slit (among other things) will cause interference pattern for a particular wavelength of light. If you have just one wavelength in your light source, then you end up with clear, distinct pattern JUST for that wavelength. But if your light source consists of more than one wavelength, or in the case of white light, a "continuous" spectrum of wavelengths, then the device will produce interference pattern for EACH of those wavelengths simultaneously. So the interference patterns for each wavelength will sit on top of one another.

So yes, you do get interference pattern. You just don't get to decipher it as easily as you would if your source only has one wavelength.

Zz.

What is the interference pattern of light?

The interference pattern of light refers to the alternating bright and dark fringes that appear when two or more light waves overlap and interfere with each other. This phenomenon is a result of the superposition of waves, where the amplitudes of the waves add or cancel out at different points in space.

What causes interference in light waves?

Interference in light waves is caused by the interaction of two or more coherent light waves. Coherent light waves have the same wavelength, frequency, and phase, which allows them to interfere constructively or destructively with each other.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same phase overlap and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. This produces a bright fringe in the interference pattern. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with opposite phases overlap and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a dark fringe in the interference pattern.

How is the interference pattern affected by the distance between light sources?

The interference pattern is affected by the distance between light sources through the principle of path difference. The path difference is the difference in the distance the two waves travel from their sources to a point in space. When the path difference is equal to a multiple of the wavelength, constructive interference occurs, and when it is equal to half a wavelength, destructive interference occurs.

What are some real-life applications of interference of light waves?

Interference of light waves has many practical applications, such as in optical coatings, holograms, and diffraction gratings. It is also used in interferometers, which are instruments that measure small changes in distance or wavelength. Interference of light waves is also important in understanding the behavior of light in various optical devices such as lenses and mirrors.