Interferometer delay & line light spreading

In summary, optical interferometers use collimated light from farther telescopes that is sent down the delay line and then into a beam combiner. However, the articles only show light entering along the axis, not at a small angle. The light may spread out over the 100m long delay line, but this is accounted for with extra lenses and mirrors. Lord Rayleigh's investigation of diffraction dictates that a large primary mirror is required for a long focal length. This means that the beam coming out of the telescope may be wider than expected, but it is still able to be reflected perpendicular to the output.
GhostLoveScore
In every article that I've read about optical interferometers they explain that collimated light from farther the telescope is sent down the delay line, and then into a beam combiner with other beam. Like in the photo below

41586_1998_Article_BF26172_Fig1_HTML.png

But they all only show light that enters the telescope along the axis. Not the light that would enter with some small angle, let's say from other star in the view. So what is happening in the delay line? The light must be spreading out. You can see my exaggerated situation below, with large angles.

beams.png

You can see that the light from small angle will go out the eyepiece on some angle, and after some length it would go past the, let's say some mirror that somewhere far to the right. I understand that we are using interferometer because what we want to see is separated by very very small angle, but still... Keck telescope delay line is around 100m long, I would imagine light would spread out over that distance.

Do they have to take care of this by using extra lenses and mirrors, or am I overthinking and light would not spread out that far?

Science news on Phys.org
Each telescope has a very long focal length, and the delay line is used as part of that. So the operation of the telescope is basically unaltered by the delay line. Of course, there is a maximum focal length that can be used, due to diffraction, as investigated by Lord Rayleigh. So a large primary mirror is required.

Then the beam coming out of telescope should be pretty wide? I mean, right at that mirror that reflects light perpendicular (in my first diagram)

1. What is an interferometer delay?

An interferometer delay is the time difference between two light waves that have traveled different paths. In an interferometer, this delay is caused by the difference in distance traveled by the light waves before they are recombined.

2. How is interferometer delay measured?

Interferometer delay can be measured by using a laser beam split into two paths, one of which is delayed using a movable mirror. The two light waves are then recombined and the resulting interference pattern is measured to determine the delay.

3. What is line light spreading in an interferometer?

Line light spreading is the phenomenon in which the width of a light beam increases as it travels through an interferometer. This is caused by diffraction and can affect the precision of interferometer measurements.

4. How does line light spreading affect interferometer measurements?

Line light spreading can cause inaccuracies in interferometer measurements by increasing the width of the interference pattern, making it more difficult to accurately measure the position of the fringes. This can be mitigated by using narrower beams or by using specialized optics to reduce diffraction effects.

5. What are some applications of interferometer delay and line light spreading?

Interferometer delay and line light spreading are important concepts in interferometry, which is used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. These include precision measurements in fields such as astronomy, metrology, and microscopy, as well as in the development of advanced optical instruments and technologies.