Intermediate Algebra -- Maximize profit when manufacturing clothes

In summary, the conversation discusses how many knit and worsted suits should be made to maximize profit, given the time constraints for cutting and sewing and the profit margins for each type of suit. The variables used in the solution are K for knit suits and W for worsted suits, with restrictions based on the available sewing and cutting hours. The goal is to determine the total profit by maximizing the number of each type of suit made.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

Hello all,

Can someone help me figure this out?

"It takes cosmic stitching 2 hrs of cutting and 4 hrs of sewing to make a knit suit.
To make a worsted suit, it takes 4 hrs of cutting and 2 hrs of sewing. At most 20 hrs per day are available
for cutting and at most 16 hrs are available for sewing. The profit on a knit suit is $68 and the profit on a worsted suit is $62. How many of each kind should be made to maximize profit?"

Homework Equations

These are the eqn's/ inequalities I came up with:
Let c = cutting
Let s = sewing

c (less than or equal to) 20
s (less than or equal to)16

c+s (less than or equal to) 24 hrs

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed c on the y-axis and s on the x-axis and found the two points of intersection of the function c=-s+24

they are (4,20) and (16,8).

Not sure what to do know (note I got to the answer by using logic, but the books answer has the answer in (x,y) form, which means that they somehow created a graph of knitted suits vs. worsted suits...

Can anyone help?

P.S You can be straight to the point, as embarrassing as it is, I tutor up through most of calc and physics.
Its been years since I have done these types of problems, and this one was presented to me at the tutoring center at which I work.

Physics news on Phys.org
One more function I left out: P(k,w)= 68k+62s where k = knit suits and w=worsted suits.
P(k,w) is the profit function

BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

Hello all,

Can someone help me figure this out?

"It takes cosmic stitching 2 hrs of cutting and 4 hrs of sewing to make a knit suit.
To make a worsted suit, it takes 4 hrs of cutting and 2 hrs of sewing. At most 20 hrs per day are available
for cutting and at most 16 hrs are available for sewing. The profit on a knit suit is $68 and the profit on a worsted suit is $62. How many of each kind should be made to maximize profit?"

Homework Equations

These are the eqn's/ inequalities I came up with:
Let c = cutting
Let s = sewing

c (less than or equal to) 20
s (less than or equal to)16

c+s (less than or equal to) 24 hrs

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed c on the y-axis and s on the x-axis and found the two points of intersection of the function c=-s+24

they are (4,20) and (16,8).

Not sure what to do know (note I got to the answer by using logic, but the books answer has the answer in (x,y) form, which means that they somehow created a graph of knitted suits vs. worsted suits...

Can anyone help?

P.S You can be straight to the point, as embarrassing as it is, I tutor up through most of calc and physics.
Its been years since I have done these types of problems, and this one was presented to me at the tutoring center at which I work.

When I used to teach this stuff (in an Operations Research program) I would tell a student that one way to figure out what the appropriate variables are would be to imagine that you are the manager. What instructions would you need to tell your staff in order that they could go off and do their jobs? Just telling them to use so many hours of cutting and so many hours of sewing would be useless: they still would not know what to do! Use the sewing how? Use the cutting how? So, your variables do not "work".

Instead, if you tell them to make K knit suits and W worsted suits they could just go away and do it. For that reason those are appropriate variables in this problem.

Now, in terms of K = number of knit suits and W = number of worsted suits, what are: the total number of cutting hours and the total number of sewing hours used? What are the resulting restrictions due to sewing and cutting? What is the total profit?

I think you can take it from here.

Ray, thanks for the response. I'll take it from there ;)

What is Intermediate Algebra?

Intermediate Algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of equations, inequalities, and functions. It builds upon the basic concepts of Algebra to solve more complex problems and prepare students for higher level math courses.

How is Intermediate Algebra used in the context of maximizing profit when manufacturing clothes?

In the context of manufacturing clothes, Intermediate Algebra can be used to create mathematical models that help determine the optimal production level and pricing strategy to maximize profits. It involves creating and solving equations and inequalities that take into account factors such as production costs, sales volume, and pricing.

What are some specific concepts in Intermediate Algebra that are useful for maximizing profit in clothing manufacturing?

Some specific concepts in Intermediate Algebra that are useful in this context include linear equations, systems of equations, and linear programming. These concepts can be used to analyze data and make informed decisions about production levels, pricing, and profit margins.

Can Intermediate Algebra be applied to other industries besides clothing manufacturing?

Yes, Intermediate Algebra can be applied to various industries where there is a need to maximize profits. This can include industries such as retail, manufacturing, finance, and marketing. The concepts and techniques used in Intermediate Algebra are applicable to a wide range of real-world situations.

Are there any software or tools available to assist in using Intermediate Algebra for profit maximization?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools that can assist with using Intermediate Algebra for profit maximization. These include graphing calculators, spreadsheet programs, and online optimization tools. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of Intermediate Algebra concepts and how to apply them in order to effectively use these tools.