Internal Energy Change: Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between internal energy change and enthalpy change. The speaker is trying to determine which reaction has the smallest volume change when carried out at constant temperature and pressure. They eliminate options A and C due to their highly exothermic and endothermic reactions, respectively. They then narrow it down to options B and D, ultimately choosing D as it involves a decomposition reaction.
Teemo

Homework Statement

Internal Energy Change

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

If internal energy change equals enthalpy change, then I am looking for the reaction which has the enthalpy change closest to zero. I know it cannot be A, as the formation of water is highly exothermic. I know it cannot be C, as the vaporization of water is highly endothermic. This leaves B and D. I think it should be D, as it is a decomposition. I find that the breaking of bonds of halogens in B to seem endothermic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which reaction has the smallest volume change if carried out at constant temperature and pressure?

1. What is internal energy change?

Internal energy change is the change in the total energy of a system due to the transfer of heat or work. It can also be described as the difference between the initial and final internal energies of a system.

2. How is internal energy change calculated?

Internal energy change can be calculated using the equation: ΔU = Q + W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added or removed from the system, and W is the work done on or by the system.

3. What are some factors that can cause a change in internal energy?

Some factors that can cause a change in internal energy include changes in temperature, changes in pressure, phase changes, and chemical reactions.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to internal energy change?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This means that the internal energy change in a system must be equal to the heat added or removed, plus the work done on or by the system.

5. Can internal energy change be negative?

Yes, internal energy change can be negative if the system loses heat or does work on its surroundings. This would result in a decrease in the total energy of the system.