Interpolation of Graphed, Cutoff Sensor Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a CO2 sensor to measure ppm of CO2 in different experimental setups. The sensor has a range of 0-10,000 ppm and readings are automatically tabulated every 2 seconds. The group is trying to determine the maximum CO2 value from their graphs and considers using mathematical techniques to estimate it. They also discuss the possibility of using a larger gas volume and a CO2 sensor with a larger range for more accurate measurements. The placement of the sensor and its reliability are also addressed. Finally, they consider increasing the volume of the dome in their setup to improve accuracy.
mishima
Hi, recently I've been playing with a little CO2 sensor. It is capable of reading ppm (parts per million) of CO2 from near the sensor up to a max of 10,000 ppm. We have a small apparatus for holding various absorbent chemicals, such as lithium hydroxide, and are controlling the release of CO2 from a small tank with a valve. Readings are tabulated automatically from a small micro-controller every 2 seconds, and later this information if plotted in google sheets. Here is an example:

examplePlat.png

Unfortunately, the sensor's capabilities are beyond our current experimental setup. With even the smallest burst from our supply tank (roughly 60 mL of gas as standard temperature/pressure), the sensor quickly plateaus to its maximum before eventually settling down.again.

I was wondering if there was any mathematical technique able to interpolate/estimate the maximum value from the graphs we've been generating. The value does not need to be exact, even 20% accuracy would be fine for our purposes.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have to do some assumptions. In this case, your setting curve looks like an exponential decay.

I don't think you can get a 20% accuracy just from that curve. You can fit something to the slopes, a linear fit to the rising slope and an exponential fit to the falling slope, and see where the curves intersect, but the combination of the two lines is probably not what actually happened in the transition region.

Can you repeat the measurement with the CO2 sensor in a larger gas volume to reduce the peak CO2 concentration? That plus the existing measurement should lead to a more accurate description.

A CO2 sensor with a larger range would be even better, of course.

Thanks!

The sensor is placed in the open just below (~5cm) an outlet from the system. Perhaps I could adjust this distance or just try a "Y" type connection with my hoses to drive some CO2 away before it gets there. I was unsure if it was safe to assume that fluid flow through a Y would divide evenly like electrical current, I don't know much about fluid dynamics but that's a separate question (I think so, as long as pressure is the same in both channels?).

Cost likely prohibits a sensor with a larger range, we were unable to find something better than 0-10,000 ppm. I guess a decent rough estimate from these graphs could guide future purchases. We had considered bubbling the outlet CO2 through water and using titration on the resulting carbonic acid...

We were just trying to compare the absorbent effects, and I suppose we could just look at the time the sensor was maxed out as an indicator instead of a peak value.

If the sensor is in the open, how can you be sure it will give reliable measurements? Every motion of air in the lab will influence it.

If everything is perfectly symmetric, flow through a Y will be symmetric, but it is impossible to make everything symmetric.
Adding a different gas (e.g. just air) with a controlled known flow ratio would reduce the CO2 content to measurable levels.
mishima said:
We were just trying to compare the absorbent effects, and I suppose we could just look at the time the sensor was maxed out as an indicator instead of a peak value.
That can give a simple comparison ("more", "less") if the timescale of the reactions is the same, but it does not give ratios ("10% more"), as total CO2 won't be proportional to that time.

Sorry I misspoke about it being in the open, that was a poor wording choice on my part. The sensor is inside of a 1 liter chemical rinse bottle that has been cut in half. It can not be completely enclosed because of pressure buildup. Currently the gas flows down from above onto the sensor perpendicularly...like a bowl turned upside down on a table (sensor is the table, CO2 outlet is small hole at peak of dome. There is space on the sides because the dome is circular and the sensor is square.

It was oriented vertically to assist with clearing the dome between trials. It only takes about a minute for the sensor reading to return to a (truly) open room reading of around 1500 ppm after a short 60 mL burst from the supply.

It seems as you said increasing the volume of this dome would be a great idea.

It would mix the CO2 with more air, reducing the CO2 levels in it.

1. What is interpolation and how is it used in graphed cutoff sensor values?

Interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate the values of data points that fall between known data points. In the context of graphed cutoff sensor values, interpolation is used to estimate the sensor values at points that are not explicitly shown on the graph. This allows for a more accurate representation of the sensor data and can help identify patterns or trends.

2. What are the different types of interpolation methods used in graphed cutoff sensor values?

There are several types of interpolation methods used in graphed cutoff sensor values, including linear, polynomial, spline, and kriging. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific data and objectives of the analysis.

3. How does interpolation affect the accuracy of graphed cutoff sensor values?

Interpolation can improve the accuracy of graphed cutoff sensor values by filling in missing data points and providing a smoother representation of the data. However, the accuracy of the interpolated values depends on the quality of the original data and the chosen interpolation method.

4. Can interpolation be used to extrapolate data in graphed cutoff sensor values?

Yes, interpolation can be used to extrapolate data in graphed cutoff sensor values. This means that it can estimate values beyond the range of the known data points. However, it is important to note that extrapolation is less reliable than interpolation and should be used with caution.

5. How can we determine the most appropriate interpolation method for graphed cutoff sensor values?

The most appropriate interpolation method for graphed cutoff sensor values depends on the specific data and objectives of the analysis. It is important to consider the characteristics of the data, such as the distribution and variability, as well as the desired level of accuracy and the potential impact of different interpolation methods on the results.