Interpreting eiπ in Equation: Radians or Number?

• Thread starter forcefield
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Radians
In summary, the equation eiπ = -1 involves a complex number, π, which can be interpreted as a radian measure of an angle in the complex plane. However, in the context of complex numbers, π is simply a number without any units.
forcefield
Consider the following equation:

e = -1

Is π in that equation just a number or do I need to interpret it as radians ?

I mean, if I defined a 'diameterian' so that π diameterians would make the full circle, would the above equation still be correct ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Radians are just number. There is no difference between "the number 1" and "1 radian". People like to use the notation radian because it makes it clear that you are dealing with an angle. But the radian symbol is often omitted since a radian is just a number.

Also, "radians" are "unitless" dimensions, due to the fact that a radian is defined as the ratio between two lengths -- the length along an arc of a circle and the length of the radius. These length units cancel.

So I guess I need to interpret π as an angle in that equation.

This is going beyond high school level I guess and is only somewhat related but I was reading Feynman Lectures (http://feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_06.html#Ch6-S3) and it looks like a 360 degrees rotation in physical space corresponds to a 180 degrees rotation of a phase of a complex amplitude. I also find it interesting that if I square i, -1 or -i, I get the rotation doubled.

forcefield said:
So I guess I need to interpret π as an angle in that equation.

No, ##\pi## is a number.

micromass said:
No, ##\pi## is a number.

Then what do you say about my second question in the first post ?

forcefield said:

e = -1

If you are familiar with the complex plane, the following diagram should establish a connection between e and any complex number, a + ib:

265px-Euler's_formula.svg.png

Also, r2 = a2 + b2

forcefield said:

e = -1

I mean, if I defined a 'diameterian' so that π diameterians would make the full circle, would the above equation still be correct ?

Thanks
π is a just a number here. It has no units. If you interpret it as an angle then the units are radians. but in the complex plane it is just another number.

In fact you may define π as the smallest positive number that satisfies the equation, e = -1

Last edited:
Likes forcefield
ei*3.14159... = -1. Call it what you want, as long as it equals 3.14159... To fit in with the rest of complex analysis, it should be thought of as the radian measure of the angle in the complex plane.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
ei*3.14159... = -1

Yes, that's approximately what one gets when one types it in Wolfram Alpha. But isn't it because Wolfram Alpha silently assumes radians ?

Yes. In the context of complex numbers, the imaginary part of the exponent of ez should be thought of as the radian measure of the angle in the complex plane. See @SteamKing post #7. So yes, it is the radian measure of the angle in the complex plane. And in the complex plane, that means e = -1. The equation e = cos(θ) + i sin(θ) is called Euler's formula. It is considered by many to be the most significant equation in mathematics.

Last edited:
forcefield said:
Yes, that's approximately what one gets when one types it in Wolfram Alpha. But isn't it because Wolfram Alpha silently assumes radians ?

no. the exponential function can be defined for any complex number. there are no units, just numbers. iπ is just another complex number.

1. What does "eiπ" stand for in the equation?

In this equation, "eiπ" represents the complex number e raised to the power of i multiplied by π.

2. Why is "eiπ" used in radians instead of numbers?

Radians are the preferred unit of measurement for angles in mathematics because they are based on the radius of a circle, making it easier to compare angles in different sized circles. Additionally, using radians allows for a more simplified and elegant representation of complex numbers.

3. How is "eiπ" related to trigonometric functions?

The complex number "eiπ" is closely related to the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine. Specifically, the imaginary part of "eiπ" is equal to the sine of the angle, while the real part is equal to the cosine of the angle.

4. Can "eiπ" be interpreted as a rotation?

Yes, "eiπ" can be interpreted as a rotation in the complex plane. Specifically, it represents a rotation of 180 degrees, or π radians, in a counterclockwise direction.

5. What is the significance of "eiπ" in mathematics?

"eiπ" has significant applications in mathematics, particularly in complex analysis and signal processing. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering for its ability to simplify calculations and represent complex phenomena.